Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

This is my first time posting and it is preeeetty long, but I really need help with my sweet dachshund, Oliver. He is a 9 month old longhaired dachshund. We bought our first dachshund, Lucy, at a pet store in town and she was healthy and easy to crate train. She has some behavior problems that we are still working on (barking at anything and everything), but that's dachshunds for you! We bought our second dachshund from there as well since we had such a good experience with Lucy. But ever since then Oliver has had so many problems...

I'll start with the easier one. Oliver has extreme submissive urination. We don't hit our dogs and are always gentle with him. But when we brought him home he would pee everywhere if we walked too quickly to the kitchen, if we attached the leash to his collar, if we took off his collar before bed, or if we ever pet him (no matter where we pet him). After many many months we have stopped his submissive peeing for the most part. He only does submissive peeing when he first wakes up from a nap or in the morning (so obviously putting a collar on him first thing in the morning always leads to soaked bedding). We've given him a lot of love, followed a lot of Caesar Milan's suggestions on helping a dog build confidence, have tried to train him, etc... and for the most part it has worked, but he still shies away from hands and fast movements. It makes me wonder if something was happening to him before we bought him, like at the breeder? I know it isn't medical (we've had extensive tests and urinalysis, all of which came back fine), so it is behavioral. I'm just concerned about how long this is going to go on for, and what other effects bad treatment might have had on him when he was just a puppy at the breeder.

Which leads me to the big problem... House and crate training. My husband and I were very diligent with our first dachshund and she eventually learned to scratch to go outside. We have put even more effort into Oliver's training and he doesn't get it AT ALL. It's not that we haven't done the right things... We follow a strict schedule, keep track of his water intake, give him lots of exercise, feed him healthy, organic, grain-free dog food. We take him out first thing in the morning and every 30 minutes for the entire day if we are home, go outside again right before bed, put him in his crate if we aren't home or can't watch him. We use a divider in his crate, clean his bed sheets constantly, give him praise and treats for when we take him outside and he does pee, taught him that at the door he scratches to go out... All of it! But he still chooses to pee and poo inside. I have no idea what to do, and I honestly think he doesn't mind sleeping and living in his own filth. He's been eating his own poo, even though he eats a highly nutritious and grain free diet, no human food ever... He pees all over his sheets throughout the night, even though we take him out right before bed and right away in the morning, bright and early... He will pee freely in his crate, with or without a divider... I just don't get it! In the morning, I put his leash on him and take him to the door. He'll jump up and scratch to go out. I take him out and he does his business, then I reward and praise him a lot. And yet! A few minutes later, he will still pee and poo all over the house just because and never asks to go outside like how we train him to do in the morning.

I figure then I need to catch him right before the act! BUT he doesn't even sniff and circle like other dogs do. I've watched him like a hawk to make sure I could slip his leash on him and say "Do you have to go outside? Let's go outside!" and rush him to the door. But he didn't sniff or run around or anything though. He was just walking, squatted for a second and peed like it was no big deal, and kept going. I was floored. I have no idea what to do! I love my boy, he's so sweet, but this unbreakable habit is disgusting and unsanitary. I'm having a baby soon and I do not want to have Oliver peeing and pooing wherever he pleases around my child. I honestly don't know what to do. The vet is stumped, my husband is stumped, and I am stumped. I am not giving him away, that's not an option. I am committed to him, but I am honestly at the end of my rope here. What do I do? Please help, any advice or suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
He might be from a puppy mill since you got him from a pet store. His fear issues could be genetic, as that's not uncommon, and people who run puppy mills don't breed for good temperament or good anything for that matter. His peeing and pooping in his crate could also be because that's how he was raised. Puppy mill dogs often exhibit this problem because they're raised in their own waste.

It sounds like you're doing everything possible to housetrain him. I would suggest one thing. Instead of taking him out every thirty minutes when you're home, take him out every time he wakes from a nap, every time he's been playing, immediately after eating, pretty much after any activity of any sort. Continue to treat and praise when he goes outdoors. Don't scold when he has an accident. I don't know how old he is but it's not unusual for some dogs to take months and months to become fully housetrained, even puppies from reputable breeders. Be patient because the more frustrated you become the more you'll sabotage your own efforts. I know it's extremely frustrating but I do think he'll get it.

You say he squats and pees like it's no big deal. It isn't for him. He's a dog and dogs don't really grasp why we make such a big deal out of them not going to the bathroom inside. Again, be patient. He's learning an entirely new way of life with a species that doesn't speak his language or understand the rules.

You should work on some counter conditioning for his fear of the collar and leash. The goal is to change his emotional response to the act of attaching the leash. Below is a video showing how to counter condition a dog to like it's harness. This video demonstrates using a clicker but it can be done without it. The important thing is to not do this training at a pace that is too fast for your dog. If he's showing fear, move the leash farther away. When he looks at it, say "good" and toss him a treat.

Good luck. With two young dogs and a baby on the way, you've got your hands full. Look in the puppy section of this forum for more advice and examples of counter conditioning. One last piece of advice. Get the book Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Took me 7 months with Ms Leesi who is only Daxie X something..... Hang in there it can be done!

Problem with scolding is that if your dog doesn't trust you to start off with and you scare them it will have dire consequences. Some dogs though are resilient and won't even bat an eyelid.

housetraining sucks Ball$! But it can be done, you just need to figure out what your dog needs and responds to best. But whatever you do don't damage your relationship with your dog because it takes very long to repair.

Chin up! You can do this!! :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
We use a divider in his crate, clean his bed sheets constantly, give him praise and treats for when we take him outside and he does pee, taught him that at the door he scratches to go out... All of it! But he still chooses to pee and poo inside. I have no idea what to do, and I honestly think he doesn't mind sleeping and living in his own filth. He's been eating his own poo, even though he eats a highly nutritious and grain free diet, no human food ever... He pees all over his sheets throughout the night, even though we take him out right before bed and right away in the morning, bright and early... He will pee freely in his crate, with or without a divider... I just don't get it! In the morning, I put his leash on him and take him to the door. He'll jump up and scratch to go out. I take him out and he does his business, then I reward and praise him a lot. And yet! A few minutes later, he will still pee and poo all over the house just because and never asks to go outside like how we train him to do in the morning.
That right there screams pet shop, probably puppy mill, puppy to me. From personal experience, and stories I have heard, pups from pet shops and puppy mills are very, very hard to house train. My terrier mix was from a pet shop that was selling mixed breed puppies, while he was at the pet shops and maybe while he was with whomever bred him he was forced to pee and poo where he slept and ate so he lost his sense of cleanliness. To him it was perfectly O.K. to potty where you slept and ate. It took me nearly a year to housetrain him, part of my problem was that for nearly all that time I was not preventing all accidents. He did what your pup is doing, take him out, he'd pee outside I'd treat and praise, bring him back in and he'd pee on the floor within 10 minutes, and he's give me no clue that he was going to do so.

What you need to do is prevent all accidents, every accident that he has in the house sets you back and further ingrains the potty inside habit. I'd tether him to you, he should get no freedom unless he has pottied outside at least twice when you take him out. So when you bring him out and he potties out there wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes to make sure he's not plotting to go again before bringing him in, only then should you give him some time to play off leash before putting him back on his tether.

Do not give him any access to carpet or other soft absorbant surfaces, that just encourages pups to potty.

Clean up all accidents with an enzyme cleaner, that will ensure that all the smell is gone and he will be less likely to go back to that spot to potty. When your house smells like a bathroom to the pup they are harder to housetrain. I'm not saying your house reeks or anything like that, it's just that cleaners other then enzyme cleaners tend to leave behind scent that humans can't smell but dogs can.

I don't recommend you do what I did and I usually don't mention it on DF, but if you get desperate, since you have a baby coming, (and the weather isn't cold or freezing where you are) you can try having him stay outside for most of the day so that he's forced to only potty out there. Like I said, I DO NOT recommend it, but it's better then being forced to give up the puppy or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.