Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mini dachshund, Bentley has been with me for a couple months now. When I first got Bentley he was a little overweight as most dachshunds are. I took him to the vet when I first got him for the initial checkup. I took Bentley back a couple days ago for a routine visit and he was noticeably lighter In weight than last time ( he's about 12 lbs now). The doctor may have been a little concerned because he asked me about what and how often I feed Bentley. And then we started talking about walking and exercise. I am very active person. I walk Bentley for about 10 minutes before work and then we go for out super long walks after work, which is about 3 miles there and back. Bentley has a ton of energy. If I pick up his leash for any reason he thinks we're about to go out and will go crazy, even if we've just got back from our long walk. I also live near a lot of shopping areas so we always walk to the pet stores and restaurants around my neighborhood. The doctor told me that I may be exercising him a little too much. Do you guys think I'm putting too much stress in his little legs?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
@AmandaNola has very active miniature dachshunds. This breed was created to track and hunt rabbits and badgers in forests they are very energetic dogs.

Like humans though all dogs need to slowly increase exercise to get fit. You don't go from being obese to running a marathon in a week. Maybe that's what the vet was worried about that the weight needs to decrease and his fitness slowly increased.

Other than that I don't see why a vet would say it is too much exercise.

Except don't let him walk up and down stairs it's bad for his back.
@AmandaNola will have more tips about doxie exercise and back health.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
No such thing as too much exercise for a healthy dachshund. They are not a lapdog bred to just sit there and look cute. They're a working breed, and should be treated as such.

My showline boy (3yrs old and about 14lbs) goes about 4 miles when we walk with no issue. He's always out running and tracking stuff in the yard.

My working line girl (almost 4yrs old, 10lbs), is limitless. We've gone on 15 mile hikes. Every few days we go for a 2 mile off leash run at the beach. She goes 6 miles on walks and them comes home for 45 minutes of tug and playing ball.
Before I moved here, we'd run 3 miles every day.

If the dog is healthy, you do not limit exercise. Go until they're tired. Exercise and keeping them lean is the best possible thing you can do for them. Obesity and then genetics are really the biggest contributors to back problems. Really every other thing people tell you is good for their backs is just a "faint maybe" in helping.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Keep it up it is so much better to have a thin Doxie. Just make sure to feed a high protein no junk calorie food. The high protein builds good solid muscle mass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.