Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Cytopoint for their dog's itching? Bus has been intensely itching for the last month or so (complete with hairloss and scabs now), and while it's common for him to itch a month or two out of the year, this year it has been pretty bad. Thus far I've tried hydroxyzine (no help), pred (minimal help), Apoquel (helped some the first day, then decreasingly effective over the following 2 weeks), tritop ointment (helps- but it's a pretty big surface area- both flanks) and most recently a dexamethasone injection which seems to have temporarily "put out the fire", but is a short term solution. I've also been putting aloe gel (plain) on the affected spots, because after the scabs come off, the dry, flakey area remains, and so far so good. My current plan is to start him back on an antihistamine before the itching gets bad again (have had fair success with it if I start it before he's itching badly, and if nothing works well, might as well pick the thing with the fewest side effects), and hope maybe we're nearing the end of whatever it is that causes the itching. If not, remaining options are Temaril-P, Depo Medrol (one vet suggested it since the dex works well, but I'm reluctant- guess I could try medrol tablets maybe), or Cytopoint, which I know little about, other than that it lasts weeks and is supposed to have fewer side effects and contraindications than the other new oral allergy meds.

Due to the seasonal nature of his itching, I'm fairly certain it is an environmental allergy. He also has a flea allergy, and is on Nexgard, but I've seen 2 fleas on him over the last 6 weeks, so I'm sure that doesn't help (my mom feeds a feral cat colony who are all flea bags and hang out between our houses, so I figure he still picks them up occasionally and they don't die instantly). I did change his food after his itching really picked up, as I couldn't get his regular food (chicken based kibble) anymore I figured I'd try something different, so I got fish and sweet potato, which he likes fine but hasn't had any effect on his skin for better or worse. He's also getting fish oil, usually 1000mg/day. I'm thinking about adding some fresh menhaden (oily fish) to his diet, but haven't gotten too far into that endeavor yet.

I'm sort of leaning toward trying Cytopoint next if the itching intensifies again, but also reluctant due to the long term nature of its effects. At least with a daily oral med, you can stop if you see something which concerns you. I don't know of anyone who has used it yet, either, though I know it's been available through dermatologists for a good while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It worked miracles on my dog who was so itchy he was balding over most of his body and literally chewing himself raw. Worked better than the Apoquel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 13 year old westie with major skin issues, eye issues and ear issues. I have tried everything, benadryl, Tamaril, shots etc..., and was close to letting him go, last Sunday, He chewed, scratched everyday for hours. I just heard of Cytopoint and got a shot on Tuesday. He was better within hours. His vision is better, he has not scratched in days and his scabs are clearing up. I cannot believe the turn around and am I am hoping it lasts. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
He also has a flea allergy, and is on Nexgard, but I've seen 2 fleas on him over the last 6 weeks, so I'm sure that doesn't help (my mom feeds a feral cat colony who are all flea bags and hang out between our houses, so I figure he still picks them up occasionally and they don't die instantly).

I found Nexgard pretty effective for flea control, occasionally would see one to two crawling on the top of her coat, not along the skin, and they were catchable, so they were sick and dying. Unfortunately Samantha had reactions to Nexgard, so can't use that. During the flea season, about 8 months of the year in Southern California, I use Frontline + for the fleas and heartgard year round for protection against heart worms.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I haven't tried Cytopoint yet, but my vet did mention it and I'm interested in how other dogs do on it in case I have to try it. So far the Apoquel works well and I haven't noticed any side effect from it. Benadryl does nothing for him, and while Tamaril P does work I hate how he acts on it so I'll only go back to it as a last resort.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cytopoint is a monoclonal antibody injection that specifically targets the protein affecting itching in atopic dogs (season allergies)... works great and has absolutely no side effects or drug interactions with other products. I have given maybe 20 of these injections and had 20 successes so far. Which is good because talking clients into getting the injections when they are a bit pricey always makes me nervous since I would feel bad if they didn't work and they spent $100 on a single injection. But so far, they have all been worth it... some owners are very happy since their pets are nearly impossible to give oral meds to, and many are too busy to deal with their pets insane itching... and many hate the side effects of steroids. So I have been pretty impressed with this product so far, too. Our local dermatologists have been using this for over 3 years, but it has only become available to us for the last year.

Though the company argues over and over again it is NOT a good way of diagnosing atopy versus food allergy, I think it is a pretty good way...supposedly hardly works at all for food allergy dogs (though it does even help them a bit it turns out)... nice to see that nearly all the itchy dogs we see in our practice are atopic, not food allergic, as I have been maintaining for many years now (so many owners jump to the conclusion their pets are itching because of food but in reality only 5% of itchy dogs have a food allergy... at least that is what studies have shown... and it looks like from our experience with Cytopoint, it's turning out to be true. In the research done on Cytopoint, about 5-10% of atopic dogs do not respond to it, for whatever reason (research has not pinpointed out the atopic failures yet)- some suspicion that secondary yeast infections can cause failures, as can bacterial and food allergies... but supposedly those two causes had been ruled out in the dogs in the cytopoint studies. Anyway, we have had very few failures yet in our practice... maybe 2 out of a 100 dogs so far, which is way below the failure rate advertised for this product... but we live in a particularly allergy prone state so maybe that's not too surprising.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ollie has been getting the Cytopoint injection for about 6 months or so now. He was on Apoquel, but it quit working after 18 months.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I meant to mention that the first Cytopoint injection may only last for a few weeks and may require a second injection. If so, the second injection tends to last a bit longer than average- from 6-8 weeks. For very difficult cases it can be given along with Apoquel, or even a steroid injection/oral meds if absolutely necessary... though if steroids are needed, good chances it's not working well enough to be worth the cost. So far that situation has not occurred in any of my patients.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info! So far things are going ok as far as itching, but I think Cytopoint may be next one the list if we have a relapse. I keep thinking that he should be done itching soon, as it's usually only for a month or two each year. Last year he only had minimal itching, guess it was chance luck :) . I had stopped rinsing him after swimming in the creek, as I thought the chlorinated water might dry him out, and he looked great all last year, but he hasn't swam much this year, and skin is a wreck, so I guess not. Maybe the swamp water is good for him ;)

His swimming is the primary reason I use oral flea prevention- I was finding that even the "water resistant"/"waterproof" topicals just don't last when he's in and out of the water sometimes multiple times in a given day- I was seeing fleas after 2-3 weeks. He seems to have no issue with the pills, and he'd eat anything, so no issue giving it to him.

If I end up using Cytopoint for him (or my parents' dog, who itches but can't have steroids due to liver disease- I've been thinking about it for her as well), I'll update with my own experience as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts