Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I would love to share my new mixed breed I've rescued from the shelter with you all. He is a 4yo half Boston Terrier and half Cocker Spaniel called Prince and he's very excitable, almost like a puppy. He has a super strong prey drive and is not good with other dogs so we're working with a trainer to get some control over him in those areas. Sadly, his old owner didn't seem to treat him well (his was abandoned at the shelter without any history of shots and was never fixed). Anyways, I love mixed breeds! If anyone has a hybrid breed and would like to share please do <3!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it's a cute dog though it looks more like mix between different dog breeds than hybrid, which would be a cross between different species. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yup, like mathilda says a hybrid is a cross between species, like a dog x coyote. But many people misuse that word.

I have a lab/English pointer cross, his name is Vegas. He is such an odd dog. No hunting/retrieving instinct at all. He also doesn't swim and is afraid of almost all other animals despite living with all kinds of critters. The smaller the animal the scarier.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
it's a cute dog though it looks more like mix between different dog breeds than hybrid, which would be a cross between different species. :)
The biological definition of hybrid can refer to a cross between species; but also breeds, lines, varieties, etc. You're thinking of the taxonomic definition.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Welcome! Your pup is super cute!:)

There are lots of mixed breeds around here.
2 of my guys are mixed. Both are unknown shelter dogs but likely both terrier mixes. I suspect Dexter (left) was some sort of ''designer breed'' cross (some sort of terrier x poodle or similar cross). Leggs (right) is likely a multi-generation mix with lots of terrier influence.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 1. Paige is an dachshund/lab mix. She's so sweet and gentle. Her retrieving instincts aren't very good. However, she loves to burrow and hide!

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is Mickey, a Lab/Eng Setter mix. He was 11 in this picture.

And 13 1/2 in this one. We lost him two years later to laryngeal paralysis.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
This is my new puppy. She is three months old in the picture and is from a purebred Golden Retriever and her father is a 3/4 Poodle 1/4 Australian Shepherd.
Would never know it to look at her. I guess you would call her a Golden Doodle. It was an accidental breeding so I know her parents.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I disagree that hybrid is the wrong term. Technically it means two species but if you say "breed" after it, I think it's clear it means two purebreds crossed together. I personally can't stand the concept of crossing two breeds. But that's mainly because they're usually unhealthy or from mills and other irresponsible breeders. But...I do kind of have a "hybrid" sleeping in my living room who is insanely adorable. Tyrion is a one year old Maltese/Yorkie. He's very affectionate, playful, brave, and learns well. But he was a mill/pet store dog so he's got a number of health problems, has gone through major surgery and almost died a few times. We love him though! And his wiggles, kisses and bunny hops make up for the vet bills. :)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts