Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I made some custom T-shirts and I didn't know where to post them... It has a cute chihuahua on it so I decided to post it here. This is my original work, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could support me!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Breed Prejudice

You're a great artist, but I wouldn't buy one. If you want to know why, you can click this link:

http://www.famouschihuahua.com/chihuahua-breeders/teacup-chihuahua-scam/

I have two "chee-wa-was" in the same sense that the word "pitbull" is used by landlords, doggie daycares, etc. when they have breed bans. My eleven pounder is so much sturdier and physically healthier than my six pounder that it's not funny.

Yea, Laurel's cute but it's kind of a disability. When she had an ear infection and was in horrible pain, everyone thought it was just adorable when she scratched her cute little ears.

According to my 1960s or 1970s AKC Complete Dog Book, this already happened with Toy Manchester Terriers, who were bred down to 2 1/2 lbs with similarly disastrous results but there wasn't as much consumersism back then so the breeders wised up.

Modern Toy Manchesters are healthy, normal sized small terriers but I often wonder if my own breed will survive. Contrary to popular opinion, Chihuahuas are NOT the only "natural" toy breed but they are the oldest American breed, since America is the name of three different continents and Chihuahuas have been around a lot longer than the USA.

They were originally called "Techichi" and Chocolate would have been pretty runty back in the 9th century. No, that's not a typo, I meant to write ninth century not nineteenth century. They were sacred dogs to the Toltecs and their "job"was not to herd sheep or retrieve dead ducks, but to serve as "death doulas", providing companionship and support to their pet humans as the humans shuffled off this mortal coil in much the same way that modern doulas provide companionship and support to women in childbirth.

So the earth kept turning and the years went by and the years went by and the Toltec civilization, like all civilizations, rose and fell like waves crashing on the beach. The next civilization was the Aztecs, and they thought our little dogs were pretty cool.

It was the Spaniards who cooked them and ate them and it wasn't funny. It was analagous to what happens in gitmo or how you might feel if someone forced you to watch them tear a page out of your family Bible and use it for toilet paper.

I'm not a very good writer, but you are a very good artist and I'm sure you can easily duck duck go yourself some inspiration for a fantastic image that will help our little doggies find the loving, respectful homes that they so desperately need.

If you have spent any time on dog forums at all, I'm sure you have heard the common refrain of, "I wanted to do the right thing and adopt a rescue dog, but there wasn't anything in the shelters except pitbulls and chee-wa-was."

Our little dogs are too special for this, although I must admit that they are better off dead than being used as if they were some sort of laundry detergent to shrink GSDs, Goldens, Corgis, etc. down to a size that conforms to the modern apartment pet policy of "no dogs over 20 lbs".

Don't even get me started on how the Richie Riches already had THAT dastardly plan foiled by the spunky little Yorkshire Terrier.

I'll shut up now as long as you understand that an image of a dog inside of a teacup is NOT cute, funny,or anything a Chihuahua lover would wear.

My Chis do wear T-shirts, though, which was why I clicked in the first place. I'm always looking for cute but respectful clothing for them and I was honestly hoping for something sensible and cool for summer but also informative and educational enough for us to be able to walk down the street minding our own business without having to constantly reiterate the fact that images of doggies inside teacups are NOT cute and Laurel is not "better" or more expensive than Chocolate.

/soapbox

1 - 3 of 3 Posts