Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

After walking my dog yesterday I noticed a deep cut on my dogs paw. It is not right on the pad but a little further up. She was not limping and showed no sign of pain or discomfort. In fact the only reason I noticed it was because I was wiping her paw and there was a small piece of fat hanging out. There was no blood at all................... I took her to the vet straightaway and she stuck a pair of tweezer type things in, it was then that it started bleeding quite heavily.

She bandaged up in a poultice as she suspected it was a grass seed and sent us home. Poppy still seems to be in no pain and is walking on it fine.

We went back to the vets today and they had another poke around. They said that they were unsure what it could be but to be on the safe side I should bring her in, inthe morning so they can cut it open and have a look under general anaesthetic.

I'm really not sure what to do, on the one hand she is showing no sign of discomfort, other then when the vet sticks things into her cut. On the other I have heard grass seed can be very dangerous.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Firstly, if there is something stuck up there (glass is a common culprit), it will cause long term problems for the dog. Secondly, there is a MAJOR artery around there and you wouldn't want a) any foreign material contaminating it or b) slicing/rupturing it. Plus if it's as deep as you say, it probably needs a drain and some sutures plus a VERY thorough cleaning, and often times you can't do a very thorough job with the dog awake.

That's my two cents anyway. Discomfort or not, if there is foreign material in there it should come out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
.thanks for the reply. I think I will take her in but the point is I am not sure if there is anything in there. It just looks like a cut.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yup. Seconding putting her under and getting it looked at. Dogs do everything possible to hide the fact that they are in pain, so just because she doesn't look in pain, doesn't mean that she isn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts