Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dog just cut his foot by his paw. It isn't a large wound, but the tissue is flapped. If it was my wound I would try butterfly bandages, but things are trickier with dogs. I have had bad experiences with stitches and staples in the foot. They just come right out. I once had to have them replaced 3 times in my dog and they still came out and eventually the wound just healed on its own. The first time they put him to sleep, the other times he was awake while they stapled his foot. Don't want to do that again!! Has anyone tried superglue? If so do you clean it with soap and water, or peroxide, or Neosporin? Thanks!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
my dog just cut his foot by his paw. It isn't a large wound, but the tissue is flapped. If it was my wound I would try butterfly bandages, but things are trickier with dogs. I have had bad experiences with stitches and staples in the foot. They just come right out. I once had to have them replaced 3 times in my dog and they still came out and eventually the wound just healed on its own. The first time they put him to sleep, the other times he was awake while they stapled his foot. Don't want to do that again!! Has anyone tried superglue? If so do you clean it with soap and water, or peroxide, or Neosporin? Thanks!
I would definitely get a vet to look at it first. It may or may not need stitches, but in either case, you'll need to protect it while it heals and that will be your challenge. Your vet may prescribe antibiotics too, to treat or prevent infection. The principles are 1) stop the bleeding (I assume you have done that already!) 2) clean the wound 3) prevent infection 4) promote healing.

Yes, clean it out with warm soapy water. There are several options for protecting it. Maybe you can tell us more about your dog... small, large, active, less active etc? If this is a tiny little house dog, that will be easier to deal with than a big active dog who wants to run outside all the time!

You can use a small child's sock and a little bit of athletic tape. You must be extremely careful not to put anything on that will cut off circulation to the foot! Never put tape all the way around a limb... always leave an area for expansion w/out tape. I would only cover the foot whilst you take puppy out to potty, but leave the foot open to the air while pup is indoors. Its better for healing to be open to the air. You must keep a close eye out for signs of infection, which include swelling, pus, or any increase in tenderness. For example is your dog gets more lame/sore on the foot, that's a bad thing.

Another option is to use a booty. You can buy them on-line. I even made one for my dog once. Here are two pics. She had a very bad cut on the pad of her back foot. The booty allowed her to continue on our backpacking trip. Without the boot, pine needles and gravel pushed into her cut, making her very lame. With the boot, she could run full speed. She understood after the first time I put it on her, how it helped her, so she was very cooperative about it! I also washed the cut twice a day and used neosporin on it. She healed up after about 10 days.

BTW, I did once try superglue on a cut on myself and it did not work, so I'm not sure its worth trying on a dog! And yes, I agree with you no vet should be stapling a dog without sedation! A vet did that once to my dog and I changed vets because it scared her so much! You should see the vet in case you need antibiotics. You don't want to wait until you have a big problem, ie an infected foot. Then your vet bills will be much worse and your dog will be very unhappy too!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
um...I would not use super glue, do not use peroxide, you could just keep it clean I guess and hope it heals.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
...would you superglue your own flesh together?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
...would you superglue your own flesh together?
I tried it once! LOL! Actually this is not as silly as it sounds. There is actually a type of glue they use in real human medicine instead of sutures under the trade name "Dermabond." It IS similar to super glue. The category of adhesives is called "Cyanoacrylate"

Here is the relevant statement from Wikipedia
" Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s outside the US, but due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[3] Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing.[4] The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[4] and final cosmetic appearance."
Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My own experience was that it stung like crazy, and did not hold more than a couple of days, but I was not using the official medical version. I've known people who have had the medical version used on facial cuts and it held well and left very little scar.

You can also get this stuff. I actually have some, but since I got it, no one has gotten hurt, so I have not tried it yet!
EMT Gel for dogs is your canine "First Aid Kit in a Tube."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for the information! My dog is very very active. He is a 1 year old German shepherd. We've got two German shepherds and their favorite thing to to is wrestle in the back yard. I think he must have landed on a stick or something when playing. He needs to run. If I keep him cooped up he will just bounce off the walls. That is why I was concerned about stitches staying in. The only reason why I mentioned the superglue was because after my other dog had to go through the whole stitches a and staples ordeal, I ran into a large animal vet at my work and told him about it. He recommended the superglue. Said hunters use it on their dogs all the time. So the idea didn't just come out of nowhere. Just wondering if anyone else had tried it because I wonder if a little stinging superglue would be easier on my dog then putting him to sleep to get stitches or even worse staples when he is awake! Especially when that might or might not even work.
That is definitely my main concern is infection, but it really is a small wound. If it was mine, or even my kids, I wouldn't go to the doctor. Just wondering if dogs are different especially because he doesn't even act like anything is wrong with his paw, so he would think to be careful with it.
The bootie is a great idea!! I am going to get him an e-collar too. Still not sure what I am going to do, but we will take him to the vet as soon as we can get to it. I just really don't want stitches or staples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Dermabond is basically the same as super glue. Yes I have glued my own wounds as well as dogs and horses. Really isn't painful at all. Be certain to carefully wash the wound with nolvasan or other good surgical scrub. If it is glued and not disinfected it can become a terrible mess. Especially if it is a puncture it is better to leave it open. The pads of feet heal better when left alone.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You sound very experienced and competent. I would just tell your vet that you would prefer to treat it like an "open wound" rather than try to stitch it, if that is a reasonable option. Sometimes I think vets stitch because they think that is the client's preference.. ie they are expecting the vet to DO something.

If pup is not even lame on it, that's a good sign. Keeping it clean and watching for infection then, would be the main things, as you already know. Good luck and do let us know how he does. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts