Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm a first time puppy parent and went to trim my dog's nails for the first time. Our dog trainer showed us how to do it and it looked easy enough. I thought I was being careful to not get the quick, but unfortunately I messed up and she started bleeding a lot :( I felt like the worst person in the world! I applied pressure with a towel for a little while and then saw online somewhere to use a little cornstarch and water and that seemed to do the trick. We kept her off her feet for an hour and then let her play. It started bleeding again and we did more cornstarch and water and it stopped so we mostly kept her off her feet for the rest of the night. The next day she seemed fine and we just had a low-key morning with not too much pressure on the paw and she was fine. Then later in the day she played around a little more roughly and it started bleeding again (much less than the day before). The cornstarch works fine each time. Today (2 days since the original cut) we have had no issues, but I've been trying to keep her from digging or running around as to not irritate it further (not easy to do with a puppy!). Should I go to the vet to get it looked at? Continue to not let her play too much? She's teething so I think any sort of wrapping or covering around the foot wouldn't go so well. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Cornstarch will work, I think I read in a pinch flour will too, but you need to be very careful cutting their nails. When you cut into the quick, its very painful to them, and they can bleed out, though it would seem you did get the bleeding under control. As long as you have no further bleeding incidents, and your pup is acting normally, you are probably in the clear this time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to visit the vet if it bleeds again this far out from the original episode, particularly if she's not doing anything that would make it bleed. Probably the two most common reasons for a nail to bleed again after it has been quicked and the bleeding stopped are: 1. clot/"scab" is abraded off by the dog walking/running and the nail scraping the ground; and 2. dog gets excited, blood pressure goes up, and clot breaks loose due to the higher BP. Of course, when you combine both factors, it can get messy fast ;) . So, try to keep her calm the next couple days, and don't walk her on abrasive surfaces. You might try putting a baby sock over the paw if walks are necessary, to add a little padding, without compromising airflow.

I've never heard of a dog actually bleeding to death from a quicked nail, though I believe it can be a risk for dogs with a clotting/bleeding disorder. My poor dachshund Annie once quicked EVERY nail on her hind feet and some on her front while playing ball on pavement at the school by my house, and I noticed midway home when I saw the "wet" pawprints (it was late at night and dark). I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way (2 blocks) and none were bleeding by the time we got home, though her paws were soaked with blood :( . She was fine, and surprisingly didn't seem sore- raring to go as usual. I just didn't walk her for a few days, and didn't bike her or play ball anywhere with asphalt for a couple weeks.

FYI- you can use cornstarch, flour, pepper, or bar soap (press nail into) as a non-pro method of stopping a bleeding nail in a pinch, but it works best when you actually press it and hold it on the end of the nail- get a little pinch and press it firmly against the bleeding tip. Next time don't use the towel, just your finger(s) :) . Sometimes just firm pressure from a finger is sufficient without even any "clotting aid". You can also buy styptic powder at the pet store (best solution), or if anyone in the house has a shaving kit, use the styptic pencil from that. If you want to get the blood off the paw, wait a while after it has stopped bleeding, and use cold/cool water, which causes constriction of the vessels, rather than increased blood flow. Just gently rinse, and don't mess with the nail a lot or try to scrub it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand you, nail cutting becomes an event surrounded by angst and drama, but luckily there’s a few easy solutions in the case of bleeding. You need to remember after you cut your dogs nail too short is to remain calm, if you panic you’ll make your dogs fear worse. Remain calm.

First use only “scissor” type clippers. Guillotine style clippers crush the toe, which is painful and never put the whole nail in a clipper.

Then i suggest you using styptic powder, it's the most efficient way to stop a dog’s nail from bleeding. To use styptic powder you can dip your dogs nail directly into the powder or use an applicator. When using an applicator such as a swab or q-tip be sure to apply moderate pressure to your dogs nail for a few minutes or until the bleeding has stopped. Styptic powder is the most popular method to stop a dog’s nail from bleeding, and they’re used by veterinarians and groomers to treat cuts and stop bleeding. They contain Benzocaine which works as a topical anesthetic to help ease the pain as well as ferric subsulfate which helps to stop bleeding.
If you don’t have any styptic powder on hand it’s not a bad idea to pick some up next time you’re at the pharmacy or pet store.

However you can find the complete Guide to cut your dog nails here: https://goo.gl/CVGYH9

I hope I was useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts