Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ga. Couple Mauled to Death by Wild Dog Pack - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

I may be gullible but I do not see packs of wild dogs running around in my area, and those "strays" I have seen were never in packs...OF 16.... BTW I loved current events in school hehe so here is my version of current events via Dog Forum :)

So I am curious as to see what everybody thinks of the story. Should the guy have been feeding a huge pack of wild dogs and not report it?

Do you think this pack started because of the roaming instinct of intact animals? (The news report says "The dogs in the attack are not believed to have been sterilized" and clearly some weren't...there were 5 puppies.)

Does anybody feel the dogs were not responsible for the mauling?

I am interested to see what others think.

Personally, I hate to see innocent people attacked, mauled, bitten, etc. by animals that should have never been roaming the streets... I HATE seeing lose dogs period.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think I'd stick to feeding stray cats.

Those dogs should have been picked up by AC, not fed until they reached a mass of almost 20. I hope the guy who fed them feels like an Asshat right now.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'd stick to feeding stray cats.

Those dogs should have been picked up by AC, not fed until they reached a mass of almost 20. I hope the guy who fed them feels like an Asshat right now.
I hate AC to an extent but something has to be done so I agree. I doubt he feels bad since he said he didn't believe the dogs would do it. I feel bad for the children (though fullgrown) I would never want to lose a family member due to someones lack of responsibility. TY for your response.

Another question I thought of for everyone who responds... would you call Animal Control if you saw a dog roaming the streets? Would you wait until you see it multiple times? What about if you know it has owners and they just let it roam? When is it time to contact animal control?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Another question I thought of for everyone who responds... would you call Animal Control if you saw a dog roaming the streets? Would you wait until you see it multiple times? What about if you know it has owners and they just let it roam? When is it time to contact animal control?

I personally make an attempt at getting every stray dog I see to come to me. I don't ever try to "catch" one. Thats to dangerous, even with a small dog. If they don't come to me, I find that I never see them again anyway.

I don't call AC, as they are useless and will take days to respond. If they were faster, I would call them.

I take every dog I find to the pound. With the except of two I found homes for myself. If I knew whos dog it was, but it had been out many times, I would take it to the pound anyway...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this just sparked a memory for me....there was a large pack of feral/stray dogs in the area where i grew up. i was very young at the time (i was probably only 5 or 6 so the memories are vague), but we actually lost our dad's black lab nikki to it for almost a month before AC finally started responding to complaints on the dogs and trapped them. i remember my dad going out to look for her, then some friends told us she was with this pack. we actually got nikki back but my parents only kept her for 2 days. again, i was young so my memories are obviously not all that solid but i do know that she attacked my little sister. our other dog, ryan, a doberman actually pulled nikki off of my sister (she wasn't seriously injured) it happened so fast. we were out in the yard (my mom was there too) and all of a sudden she just turned around, growling, and jumped on my sister who fell in a hole. then ryan was just there dragging nikki back. and my mom grabbed my sister and i and took us into the house. i think i'll ask my mom about it so i can get a clearer idea of what happened.

i call AC sometimes, but i never expect them to do anything because they rarely do.
a dog who's owners allow to roam around, just got ran over in my neighborhood. the person who hit the dog wrote a letter in the newspaper about how sorry he was, but he didn't see the dog until it was too late. the dog's owner responded with something flippant like "oh well, it happens" and i know AC had been called about the dog. sad sad sad, people are so f'd up sometimes.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this just sparked a memory for me....there was a large pack of feral/stray dogs in the area where i grew up. i was very young at the time (i was probably only 5 or 6 so the memories are vague), but we actually lost our dad's black lab nikki to it for almost a month before AC finally started responding to complaints on the dogs and trapped them. i remember my dad going out to look for her, then some friends told us she was with this pack. we actually got nikki back but my parents only kept her for 2 days. again, i was young so my memories are obviously not all that solid but i do know that she attacked my little sister. our other dog, ryan, a doberman actually pulled nikki off of my sister (she wasn't seriously injured) it happened so fast. we were out in the yard (my mom was there too) and all of a sudden she just turned around, growling, and jumped on my sister who fell in a hole. then ryan was just there dragging nikki back. and my mom grabbed my sister and i and took us into the house. i think i'll ask my mom about it so i can get a clearer idea of what happened.
Did you know that captive pigs...like farm pigs...eventually evolve back into hogs when in the wild?! I kid you not...ppl argue this with me...its true... their hair starts to grow as do their teeth and their disposition changes. I am not an expert but I do believe this happens to any captive animal, including dogs.

[/quote]i call AC sometimes, but i never expect them to do anything because they rarely do.
a dog who's owners allow to roam around, just got ran over in my neighborhood. the person who hit the dog wrote a letter in the newspaper about how sorry he was, but he didn't see the dog until it was too late. the dog's owner responded with something flippant like "oh well, it happens" and i know AC had been called about the dog. sad sad sad, people are so f'd up sometimes.[/quote]

If I am correct our state is good about answering calls. I know they have no rights to take an animal without owner surrender...but a cop can... what every state needs is an AC system with the law behind them and the power of law enforcement... maybe one day.

Also I realize around here that the reservation is a huge problem...their dogs wander everywhere and are NOT vaccinated nor altered. :( Nothing we can do there either.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i did know that about the pigs, i've seen them. there are programs to hunt/capture them all over the place, they do a lot of damage to the ecosystem etc.

i agree about the law/AC thing, it would really help in a lot of situations. i can't imagine how frustrating it would be to witness all the crap they witness and not be able to do anything about it!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
When we first moved here there were packs of dogs running loose. I lost 2 pet chickens and a pet guinea hen to them. But AC seems to be keeping closer watch on them now. I haven't seen too many lately. We live by a big wash. People were abandoning their unwanted dogs there. But AC said they patrol that area more and have caught people dropping their animals off. The wash is where we have to drive through to get to town. For awhile we always seen strays down there when we went to town. We tried to catch them. But they would run out into the desert or way down the wash. Once we saw a very skinny Pit Bull that was eating garbage that was in the wash. We had just got groceries . So tried to catch it with some lunch meat but it just ran out in the desert, where we couldn't get it. One time there was a beautiful purebred boxer at the wash. Some people were trying to catch it. We stopped and tried to help but couldn't catch or get it to come to any of us. I was sick that we couldn't catch it. We looked but never seen it again. We have coyotes out here. I'm sure a some lose to the coyotes. AC said if they run out in the desert or down the wash they can't usually catch them either. So they are trying to catch the people that are abandoning the dogs more.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
In Las vegas the shelter has an "anonymous drop off" which are basically kennels that you can drop off dogs in...24/7...no questions asked....

I think that that is a wonderful idea and would end ALOT of the dumping on the streets. I wish more shelters would adopt the program.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That would help in some areas. At least it would keep abondoned dogs from starving or dying of dehydration. But some people who don't care about the animals would still do the same.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When we first moved here there were packs of dogs running loose. I lost 2 pet chickens and a pet guinea hen to them. But AC seems to be keeping closer watch on them now. I haven't seen too many lately. We live by a big wash. People were abandoning their unwanted dogs there. But AC said they patrol that area more and have caught people dropping their animals off. The wash is where we have to drive through to get to town. For awhile we always seen strays down there when we went to town. We tried to catch them. But they would run out into the desert or way down the wash. Once we saw a very skinny Pit Bull that was eating garbage that was in the wash. We had just got groceries . So tried to catch it with some lunch meat but it just ran out in the desert, where we couldn't get it. One time there was a beautiful purebred boxer at the wash. Some people were trying to catch it. We stopped and tried to help but couldn't catch or get it to come to any of us. I was sick that we couldn't catch it. We looked but never seen it again. We have coyotes out here. I'm sure a some lose to the coyotes. AC said if they run out in the desert or down the wash they can't usually catch them either. So they are trying to catch the people that are abandoning the dogs more.
It is very difficult for them to catch dogs. Its unfortunate people are dropping dogs off. The issue we have in parts of the valley is the reservations :eyeroll: Of course having no jurisdiction we cannot do anything to the owners, and god forbid you want to help them because they just take it as an insult. I think its perfect what your last sentence says, CATCH THE PEOPLE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.

In Las vegas the shelter has an "anonymous drop off" which are basically kennels that you can drop off dogs in...24/7...no questions asked....

I think that that is a wonderful idea and would end ALOT of the dumping on the streets. I wish more shelters would adopt the program.
I think this is wonderful. I don't know if the humane society here has a similar program or not. I know we took in a stray ferret because we knew she had adrenal disease and the receptionist was kind of annoying and put her in a milk crate :( I asked for her back after a few moments of getting annoyed with the receptionist and took her home LOL

I have also noticed how RUDE employees are at the county shelter, definitely stears people away from wanting their pet there, but I don't think dropping the animal off in the middle of nowhere is better.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have also noticed how RUDE employees are at the county shelter, definitely stears people away from wanting their pet there, but I don't think dropping the animal off in the middle of nowhere is better.

I have had both the best service and the worst at animal shelters. I can see why people are tramatized and don't want to go back.

Personally, I've had more good experiences than bad, and im determined to rescue...but I hear this complaint all the time from potential adopters...and if they are rude to the adopters...imagine the crap they give to people trying to surrender a dog. I will never fault som'one for surrendering their dog to a shelter because there are way worse options.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had both the best service and the worst at animal shelters. I can see why people are tramatized and don't want to go back.

Personally, I've had more good experiences than bad, and im determined to rescue...but I hear this complaint all the time from potential adopters...and if they are rude to the adopters...imagine the crap they give to people trying to surrender a dog. I will never fault som'one for surrendering their dog to a shelter because there are way worse options.
Oh we were surrendering the ferret someone else found next to their spa in their backyard and the chick dealing with us was beyond rude. I have never had issues when adopting tho. I can just see how someone trying to surrender their dog would get more emotional and upset with someone like her. MOST are not cranky lonely people like she clearly was, one of the girls as we walked out said to her "good job stupid" LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
When I wanted to look at Chili the worker kept acting like I was wasting his time, he kept looking at his watch and tapping his foot...im thinking, geez som'one is looking at this pathetic as-all-get-out dog calm down. I even said to him "I wont waste your time man, im serious about this dog" and that seemed to take the edge off of him.

God, I've surrendered so many strays that they recognize me at the two local shelters...how sad is that.

I don't miss having a cat trap. I was at the shelter weekly.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i actually quit volunteering at the local shelter b/c the worker was so incredibly rude to me. i couldn't believe it at first, i was DONATING MY TIME and here is this &!#@% treating me like crap! it just kept on that way, even when i went out of my way to avoid her, she always had a comment. i would still rather that people surrender their dogs then let them roam around stray.
i've seen the outdoor drop-off kennel things at shelters, it is a great idea. on the other hand i've also talked to quite a few idiots who think that dumping their dog is more humane than surrending it to a shelter because they will just kill the dog at the shelter.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts