Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious about vet expenses

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Thisisme19 
#1 ·
I was looking at my vet billing today, and I know my small town has inexpensive vet service. I was just wondering how it compares to others.

This was done for HaHa, my golden retriever, I took him in for an ear infection. I was there for about 20 minutes.
HaHa was weighed, had his temp taken, teeth/gums looked at and just a 'feel over' by the vet where his neck glands and his frame, in general, were touched, pushed, prodded, legs each lifted, joints moved...etc.
The vet did all of this, not a tech.

The exam, included a washing out of the ear using antibacterial wash and then some antibacterial/yeast killing salve put into his ear.

Exam, & cleaning: $18.00
V5, booster shot: $17.00

Total for what was done at the vets: $35.00

I didn't include the meds I took home with me, as I am more interested in what the actual vet visit compared to with others. I think her fee is $18:00 and she just didn't charge for the ear cleaning. I also got new unopened med packages...so it wasn't like I was paying for the meds she used in the ear cleaning and then just taken those home.

The meds I took home:

Animax 7.5ml (salve) = $6.10
Trizultra + Keto (medicated ear wash 4oz) = $13.30
14 pills of antibiotic Cephalexin 500mg capsules: 11:20

Total for meds I took home: $30.60

I escaped the vets, with HaHa - spending less than $70.00 lol.

Stormy

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm taking Bandit for a check up in just over an hour so I'll reply when we're done and we can compare :)

#3 ·
I'm jealous.

Just the visit/wellness exam is $35. I think I usually spend about $120 (if she needs a rabies vaccine). She has an appointment in June for her annual check up. If I remember, I'll post the price. She's not due for rabies this year but I'm moving her lyme/lepto vaccines to this appointment so I won't have to go back.

Those prices are with no meds.

#4 ·
I think the last time Rosie had an ear infection I had to take her in for, I walked out of there spending $125 lol. Which to me isn't too bad, so idk. The meds were the most expensive...$30 per ear. But it was just a one time application of some stuff and it actually worked really well. The prednisone was cheap.

#6 ·
I just switched Chisum's vet. It was about $40 for an exam and additional $100 for a full work up (a bunch of blood tests, fecal, urinalysis, heartworm test). It was also and additional $118 because he had to be sedated.

Honestly it wasn't much more expensive than my previous country vet and she was much more thorough.

#7 ·
Well Bandit's vet visit ended up being 32 for the exam and 8 for the emergency seizure medication I had to take home :(

Honestly the vet I go to is very cheap for my area. They get donations to help because they serve a very rural poor area and most of their customers would not go to a vet if it cost much more. They even hold a shot clinic every Saturday where its first-come first-serve and a full range of sots is only 20, and they also hold a spay/neuter clinic once a month that's (I believe) 25 for a cat 35 for a dog. The building is in need of some TLC and you can tell they are working with limited funds but I've yet to find a vet tech, receptionist, or veterinarian who wasn't super warm and welcoming and very professional.

#8 ·
Holy cow I wish it was that cheap. It's $40 just for an exam. I only do every 3 years vaccinating, and do them myself, or else it would be over $300 to get them all done. Of course I would if I felt they needed it, but I don't. I just take them in every 3 years to get their 3 year rabies and make sure they're healthy. Chess goes in every year to keep her IBD monitored.

#9 ·
Ginny's first exam was $27, and that included a dose of Heartgard and also a dose of a flea/tick thing.

#11 ·
Wow, that is cheap. Here our exams are $40. Luckily our vets often give us a break because they like us and know we're good pet owners but it's still expensive.

#12 ·
The vets in my small town in the States: The average vet visit cost me $60-$100 and if anything extra had to be done, usually add $20 or more depending on what it was. When my dog Budro got sick, stayed overnight at the vets, where he died...that cost me over $500. They were kind enough to let me on a payment plan because I didn't have that much money in my bank account at the time.

Here, the first time I took Tasha to a vet, the vet gave her the basic health check for free. I walked out paying only for flea and tick meds....which are insanely expensive! Changing to US dollars, the average vet visit here has cost me $10-$40 if I didn't buy flea and tick meds.

#13 ·
Zody was at the vet on May 4 for his annual exam and booster shots.

Annual exam w/ vac +RV $51
Rabies vac
DHPP + L4 vac
Bordetella Oral $17.60
Intestinal Parasite Exam $18.50
Heartworm Antigen Test $29
Express Anal Glands $13.90
Apoquel $57.06
Fish Oil for small dogs $16.75
Heartgard single dose $9.40
Nexgard 10 1-25lbs single dose
Deramaxx single dose $9.40

Tax $1.38
Total $223.64

What really drove the price up higher then it normally would have been was the Apoquel and the fish oil, both are to try and get his environmental allergies under control. Without them the total would have only been $149.45

#14 ·
Pixel just had her annual check up/vaccination. She had rabies, kennel cough, some cocktail vaccine, and then one for a regional water bacteria (she drinks a lot of pond water). Plus I got 3 doses of flea/tick (bravecto I think?) so that I'm covered the next 9 months.

I think all in it cost me like €145? I don't know how that all breaks down though. I think the vet consultation is about €20, each of the flea/tick is about €25 so the rest must be the vaccinations.

#15 ·
Regular check up (examination fee) here in Vancouver, BC at my vet is $65. Even the local SPCA here is $60. After shots and de-wormer/tick treatment etc its usually about $100-130.

If I have to go to the Emergency hospital its $80.

#16 ·
Literally just went to the vet today. I think everything was pretty reasonable except I needed to have bloodwork sent out and it was an insane $178.00 just for that. :eek:

Exam: $42
Rabies 3 Yr Vac: $21
Urinalysis $26
Fecal $19
Heartgard 3 month pkg: $26.55

#18 ·
It seems that when I'll take Alva for her next vaccines (rabies + parvo, distemper, and two other viral diseases) it will cost me 61 €. the vet clinic also states that a basic appointment starts from 60 €.

A couple of years ago one of Alva's teeth was removed surgically. It had split. A big molar on the right side of her upper jaw. It cost 470 € if I remember it correctly.

#19 ·
@StormyPeak

Aspen went for her annual check up last night so I wanted to update with an actual cost :)

She got her wellness check, lyme, lepto, kennel cough and heartworm test for a grand total of $187. I typically do the lyme/lepto in September but figured since I was already there and she wasn't getting her rabies and distemper, I'd save myself the second office visit fee. She goes every 6 months for her kennel cough booster. The visit in January is much cheaper ;)

Personally, I like her to stay UTD on kennel cough (my vet actually reminded me yesterday that she didn't NEED to have it). We have a lot of out of town family and I feel better knowing that if I needed to board her last minute, she's all set. I also end up bringing her to the groomer or boarding her at least twice/year anyway.

My vet is probably the most expensive in the area but I LOVE them and Aspen loves them so it's worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.