Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 month old puppy. We believe she's pitbull mixed with german shepherd. I understand those breeds are high energy and need to be exercised consistently. Although we do not get a chance to walk outside everyday, we do get to play fetch in the hallway for about an hour each day. However, our problem with our sweet, Annabell, is when she gets excited to see us when we get home from being away as well as when she gets excited playing she tends to become aggressive. I know it's in a playful manner, but she tends to bite hard(since she has her adult teeth) and will jump up and claw our legs pretty bad. My boyfriend and I are at a lost as to what techniques to use to curb this behavior. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
P.S.- If anyone has recommendations for a trainer in the Cincinnati, OH area please respond with contact information.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've always broken jumping by putting my knee up to protect myself and keep them off me while ignoring them and saying down. 5 dogs and not a one jumps.

For biting I've always grabbed their mouths. Not sure if that's controversial or not. I just grab their mouth and tell them no. They hate it and it usually stops it easy.

Sounds like your pup is just getting way over excited. I wouldn't really say that's aggressive.

Reactions: hilarywhitney

·
Registered
507 Posts
He can't be jumping on you if he is sitting. Train your dog to sit. When you come home, ignore him for a few minutes, even as he is jumping all over you. Don't look at him or speak to him. Normally, the dog will give up after a couple of minutes. Let him settle, then call him to you and have him sit. Without excitement, give him a little treat and rub his shoulders.

She shouldn't be putting her mouth on you at all. Those breeds have a "hard" mouth, not suitable for carrying birds. She can't really give a soft bite. Play some interactive games with her, like tug-of-war (it does not encourage aggression) and if her teeth touch your skin, even on accident, immediately stop the game, turn and walk away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The knee defense that furbabymum describes works for jumping or have a squirt bottle by the door so you can grab it when you walk in and use it if she jumps.

I use the 'get a toy' trick for the chewing issue-
while my 5 month puppy Shadow (pit mix too) is SOO excited when I get home that she unwittingly tries to chew your hands/arms/face - i grab a toy instead and play with her with it..saying "get a toy" the whole time.
If she drops the toy and goes for me I stand up and turn around - once she goes for the toy again I play again.
She's started bringing the toy to the door when I get home- ;)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The way that works best for me is simply ignoring it. When in such an excited state of mine, a dog can even see you shoving him off or telling him "no" or "get down!" as reinforcement. She's doing it because it's getting her attention, your attempts to get her off included.

What I do is this: When you walk into the door and she starts to jump on you, cross your arms so she's not grabbing or biting your hands and turn away from her. Don't look at her, don't acknowledge her in any way, shape or form. Just pretend she's not there. When she stops, ask her to sit. If she doesn't know sit, train her so she does. When she sits, thats when she gets attention and praise. If she jumps, stop the attention and praise, turn your back on her and ignore her again until she stops. Just repeat this. What you are doing is modifying her behavior. Instead of jumping persistently to get attention, she will be sitting as hard as she can.

The same thing can go for play. If you are playing and she bites too hard, say "oops!" and immediately cease play and ignore her completely for a few minutes. If you are consistent with this, she will learn that if she bites, then the fun ends. Because she wants to play, she will stop biting.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The way that works best for me is simply ignoring it. When in such an excited state of mine, a dog can even see you shoving him off or telling him "no" or "get down!" as reinforcement. She's doing it because it's getting her attention, your attempts to get her off included.

What I do is this: When you walk into the door and she starts to jump on you, cross your arms so she's not grabbing or biting your hands and turn away from her. Don't look at her, don't acknowledge her in any way, shape or form. Just pretend she's not there. When she stops, ask her to sit. If she doesn't know sit, train her so she does. When she sits, thats when she gets attention and praise. If she jumps, stop the attention and praise, turn your back on her and ignore her again until she stops. Just repeat this. What you are doing is modifying her behavior. Instead of jumping persistently to get attention, she will be sitting as hard as she can.

The same thing can go for play. If you are playing and she bites too hard, say "oops!" and immediately cease play and ignore her completely for a few minutes. If you are consistent with this, she will learn that if she bites, then the fun ends. Because she wants to play, she will stop biting.
You read my mind. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm surprised that the responses are about the jumping and not about not getting a chance to walk outside every day. There is no substitute for that. You have to make the opportunity. The dog is bursting with energy and it is being channeled in negative directions. You can't train the need for exercise out of a dog.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm surprised that the responses are about the jumping and not about not getting a chance to walk outside every day. There is no substitute for that. You have to make the opportunity. The dog is bursting with energy and it is being channeled in negative directions. You can't train the need for exercise out of a dog.

Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that don't allow for a walk everyday. There are other ways to exercise your dog without a walk if you need to. Fetch, training, find it games, etc. While I do think dogs need a good walk everyday, it's not the be all end all. During monsoon season here, if it's pouring rain and lightning out, my dogs aren't going to get a walk most likely. It's winter, the OP lives in OH, it could be snowing or be too cold.

Yes, the dog is bursting with energy, but dogs get excited when their people come home (usually). My dogs get excited when I take the trash out and come back 30 seconds later, even with a good run before hand. Also, my dogs don't get tired from just a "walk". It's gotta be running, usually off leash. If they get tired from just "walking", it's because it was a 10 mile hike up a mountain.

But again, there are other forms of exercise you can do with your dog, if you can't take it out due to weather or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I will have to share this with my boyfriend in order for us to be consistent. I think ignoring her when she bites will help a lot because she loves attention and whines when it's not all about her. We do take her on walks, but that doesn't wear her out of course. Our lease is up in June and we will definitely be looking for a place with a fenced in yard where she can run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts