Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For everyone who has crossed the boarder with their pet, specifically bringing their pet into the states, what was the procedure?

I want to bring my cat with me from Canada into the States (North Carolina). We will be driving. As far as I understand, is it just a matter of having my cat examined at the port entry? Where there any documentations required such as proof of vaccination? Or does that only apply to dogs?

What is to be expected?

·
Registered
161 Posts
No idea about cats. But would assume a health certificate and rabies if over 12wks same as dogs. Call the port you are crossing at and ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
888 Posts
Call and ask - the rules have changed dramatically.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I travel with dogs on a monthly basis, and the rules haven't changed towards pets, but has towards pet foods. No lamb, all original packaging.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
888 Posts
I travel with dogs on a monthly basis, and the rules haven't changed towards pets, but has towards pet foods. No lamb, all original packaging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Really, I had heard there were huge changes in the last 2 to 3 years?!? Then again last time I crossed the border you need a Driver's license and the dog needed a collar with rabies tag.

Guess I'll go be old in the corner. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
You need your passport, but that's been awhile ;) and dog tags, they were never accepted when I crossed always had to be a rabies cert.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
888 Posts
In Detroit they always just looked at me girl's collar - and that was normally just on the way back. Times have changed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Huh. That wasn't ever done here lol. Guess different places 'allow' different things. I was told that the tag could be anyones. Granted so could the certificate

I have only been asked to show the cert. Once in a while, usually they look in, see the dogs, find out I'm headed to a show and off I go
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
888 Posts
I was only ever "day trips" for pleasure. My ex was from Detroit and I preferred spending time in the Canadian park to visiting with in-laws!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it never hurts to play it safe lol. I don't know why I never considered calling them but I certainly will be giving a call! Thanks!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey, let us know how it goes/what you find out. I haven't been north in YEARS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts