Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a lot of controversy about this topic which is why I came hear for some insight. I had learnt that cropping ears are for aesthetics only and can be very painful which is why it shouldn't be supported, but I've heard people say that it can prevent infections for certain breeds, is this actually true?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Floppy-eared breeds are generally more prone to ear infections no matter what the breed is in the end, it is for cosmetic reasons. Why crop a Doberman's ears but not a Bloodhound or Lab's ears? People just want to validate what they believe in even if it's not true...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better, I was so confused for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
I know there's a lot of controversy about this topic which is why I came hear for some insight. I had learnt that cropping ears are for aesthetics only and can be very painful which is why it shouldn't be supported, but I've heard people say that it can prevent infections for certain breeds, is this actually true?
If there were health benefits to ear cropping (or tail docking, for that matter), it wouldn't be a banned practice in so many parts of the world -, like here in the UK for example. ;) Poodles, Labs and Cocker Spaniels are all prone to ear infections and yet no one's lobbing half their ears off, so the "prevents infections" myth doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Don't be fooled - it's purely cosmetic. Done to make the dog and, by extension, it's owner, look 'ard, innit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I am not in favor of either ear cropping or tail docking. Ours came from the shelter with a docked tail, which on her looks great, but I would never have put her through that. She is almost twelve years old, and to this day, remains extremely sensitive when anything or anyone gets close to her tail.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If it were honestly done to prevent infection the beagles, bassets and spaniels would be top of the list for this procedure as all of these breeds have ears that can support an eco system all of their own . Ear problems are a huge issue among them.

Yet it is the breeds that present a tough guy image Dobermann Pits Staffs Great danes ect who suffer this mutilation simply because they are owned by insecure invdiviuals who need a crutch to support their frail ego.

24 of 27 EU states have ban ear cropping and many also banned tail docking and de-clawing as well as the cutting or removal of vocal cords

Sadly some feeble minded individuals still travel to states in the EU where for a fee you can find a vet who will do it and the punishments are not harsh enough.. In this case I think an eye for an eye or rather and ear for an ear should be implimented..

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it were honestly done to prevent infection the beagles, bassets and spaniels would be top of the list for this procedure as all of these breeds have ears that can support an eco system all of their own . Ear problems are a huge issue among them.

Yet it is the breeds that present a tough guy image Dobermann Pits Staffs Great danes ect who suffer this mutilation simply because they are owned by insecure invdiviuals who need a crutch to support their frail ego.

24 of 27 EU states have ban ear cropping and many also banned tail docking and de-clawing as well as the cutting or removal of vocal cords

Sadly some feeble minded individuals still travel to states in the EU where for a fee you can find a vet who will do it and the punishments are not harsh enough.. In this case I think an eye for an eye or rather and ear for an ear should be implimented..
One of my neighbor's had their lab mix debarked.... Poor thing only let out a wheezing sound.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Neither did I until I talked them... This was back where I used to live where almost all of the dogs were some form of "tuff" dog's so mutilating your dog for your own preferences wasn't rare. Do you know what they thought was wrong though? Neutering. Now, I personally don't have a problem with anyone keeping their dog intact because that's what I personally did with Molly but what I do have a problem with is irresponsible intact dog owners (which they were). Anyways, I don't want to hijack the thread but in the places that cropping is most common, you have other things happening that don't benefit the dog and only benefit the humans aesthetically. The vets probably are so used to it that they thought that it was better to be done by them than some guy doing it at home in his kitchen or bathroom...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts