Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely fenced in backyard. We moved in a year and a half ago, so there are very few grown, mature trees or flowers. Looking at all of my neighbors, I have the most boring but most open backyard. On occasion we have been known to leave our year and a half old pit/bull terrier out alone. The learning curve taught us he will get bored and destroy things.

Today I was doing some searching and found some tips for making a better yard for a dog. I guess they enjoy paths and tunnels? I had originally planned on making a flower hedge border around our fence with forsythias, lilacs, and maybe one or two other things. With this new knowledge however, I'm thinking to make a dog sized gap between fence and flowers that will create a bit of a tunnel for him to run through. Maybe put some low to the ground flowers for him to sniff at as well. Is this something a dog would typically embrace? I'm just hoping he doesn't just bust through a wall of flowers, randomly, destroying everything in his path.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Something I've found can make any dog in any garden happy: a digging pit.

Obviously without seeing your garden it's difficult to know if this is feasible- but if possible, cordon off an area that you will be happy for your dog to dig in and make it easily recognisable for him by creating a natural border out of stones or sticks. If you fill the area with a soft material such as dirt or sand, you'll have a great little place for him to dig and entertain himself for hours (especially if you bury treats/toys in there!).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about a dig pit! I'm just not 100% sure on where I'd put it. I'm also a little hesitant to encourage digging. I mean, right now any digging he does happens to be digging at loose planting soil when he's bored. Which is bad.

I'm still not sure about the flower tunnel. How practical it is. How effective it would be. How often would he just burst through the flower wall. How much of a tunnel would it even be...maybe he wouldn't realize he's bursting through the wall.

I'm thinking about buying some gardening stakes, covering them with PVC pipes, and creating some weave poles.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
When my trimmer broke I couldn't the replacement part for a month I learned that what makes my dog happy is taking naps very tall grass. Unfortunately I don't have a large yard and I don't really like the prairie look so he's out of luck till the next time the trimmer breaks or we run out of gas. Maybe if you have more space you can let a small patch get over grown.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Victoria Stillwell had some episodes sandboxes made for the dogs that liked to dig. Instead of destroying the yard the dog's energy was redirected to the box. I think they even hid treats there.

Or the flowers could be fenced away from the dog...

Do you like playing hide and seek with the dog? Or does your dog like running in the backyard? If you like or want to play hide you could show that in your plans for the yard and create opportunities for great treat/toy hides.

If there are flowers near the fence, I would be worried about the dog running through them when he wants to see what happens behind the fence. My mother does not like the dogs trampling her flowers so we have tried to teach them not to go into the flower bed that is in the middle of the yard. They usually go around it, and it is easier because the bed is surrounded by large rocks and there is also a bush so it looks less fun to run through. But they forget to avoid the flowers if we do not keep watch that it is not entered

If I had a yard and a ton of money I would plan a yard with different surfaces and levels (dogs like to keep watch), plants or walls to create shadowy places to rest, open area for running and training sessions. I would also have some agility equipment (jumps, hoop, weaves, tunnel) and something to store them when they are not in use. In the summer there could be something to make the dog wet like children pool or hose.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I just bought a Suncast large dog house and will put a rubber mat in it...I make sure I have a shady area in the yard...but I did pull out ALL the brush and bushes...ticks and mosquitoes hide in them! I put out jolly balls, tennis balls and also a super large beach ball (the Frenchie loves it!). I feed birds (the dogs never catch them) and also the squirrels who love to taunt the dogs by running on top of the wood fence. I have a digging area but am going to get rid of it...the dogs are just too muddy and filthy to come inside after they dig, ugg. Even sand would track in all over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought about a dig pit! I'm just not 100% sure on where I'd put it. I'm also a little hesitant to encourage digging. I mean, right now any digging he does happens to be digging at loose planting soil when he's bored. Which is bad.

I'm still not sure about the flower tunnel. How practical it is. How effective it would be. How often would he just burst through the flower wall. How much of a tunnel would it even be...maybe he wouldn't realize he's bursting through the wall.

I'm thinking about buying some gardening stakes, covering them with PVC pipes, and creating some weave poles.
What I would say is that digging is a natural behaviour in dogs, and one that should be controlled in a 'safe zone' rather than prevented completely.

Weave poles could be a great idea :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts