Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my dog with regard to only one of her nails. One nail grows really long, very fast. All other nails grow at a normal rate. I take her in to get her nails trimmed now more than I did before because I don't want her nail to get caught on something and cause her pain.
Because it grows really fast I'm going to start to trim her nails at home but this has got me curious.
This only started 2 years ago. She is a mix Black Lab and Beagle. She is 11 1/2 years old.
Why would only one nail grow really fast? Anyone out there run into this before?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not only does cutting a dog's nails too short cause them pain but leaving them to grow too long can be even more painful. So cut their nails every week. A dog carry bag is also goo accessories for taking nail cutter and other things while carrying dog
For instance, long nails can cause a dog to lose traction in their paw, making it easier for them to slip and fall, causing additional pain than that from the nail alone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. Doesn’t sound like anything serious. But like the previous suggestion, do nail care weekly. If the nails get too long this can affect their gait and musculature all the way up to the shoulder and to back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts