Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now our newly adopted teenage hound mix gets worked up and overstimulated very easily, and we've had a hard time helping her settle down after any sort of activity. She'll increasingly jump, chew, play growl, demand bark, even when we ignore her. She's getting better at trying to sit and quiet down to get our attention, instead of barking, but as soon as we pet her it's right back to crazy town. The only thing that works to get her to settle and nap is to leave her in her crate for a time. I would rather her snuggle us on the couch while we all chill out, but until we can get results from our work on encouraging settling outside the crate, is it ok for her to have this settle time in her crate? Is there an alternative way to help her settle?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
There is no reason not to use the crate as long as you are not making it a punishment. As long as it is not hours she is spending in there. Hounds are very social and love to be near their people. Maybe put the crate in the room you and your family are in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm with you on this. Curious to see suggestions.
We crate to settle our 8 month old pit bull x boxer x hound (?) mix. Usually we just have to do it when she gets too amped up the play and starts biting. For her, being separated from us, even just by a fence, is enough to make her clean up her behaviour. We've found we have to do it less anf less. Unfortunately, we can't get her to settle when she's over tired and we are up and about. For this we still have to put her in her ex pen and sit with her until she falss asleep (5min usually).

We've tried working on rewarding a settle, but it hasn't gone well and we've gotten slack and sporatic with training. Especially because using treats amps her up

·
Registered
874 Posts
Remember:
They were bred for a long day of work, and should get at least 60 minutes of moderate intensity daily exercise. Along with a couple of harder sprint workouts per week.
If you are ensuring your hound is getting enough exercise then this is fine. My guy I have found needs even more exercise then this about 3 hours of intense exercise per day or he is quite destructive. A hound with to much energy and that is bored is a hound that is destructive and will find a way to expend their energy.

Are you sure that it is demand barking? Trucker just bays to bay sometimes and other times he bays at his toys. Most the time it has nothing to do with me, he love to hear himself (and to tell you the truth so do I, he has a beautiful voice).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.