Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I've had a Frenchie for three years now and he has good social skills and I just got another one this week he's two months old and I crate my Frenchie since I had him now I was wondering if it's a bad idea to use one crate for them both. I don't have too much space I live on small apartment and the neighbors are not very welcoming towards dogs so how can I make it work. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you have to crate them? Keeping them together in one crate is not a good idea since they can’t have their own space and get away from each other if they want to. So that could lead to them fighting. But in general I would recommend not crating at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The older one is used to his crate by now and goes in it on his own when he needs to nap I'm not really forcing him in or anything however it's the little guy who's still curious and I leave the house sometimes for work so I was a bit concerned he'll get into trouble. I don't have enough space for two crates and no where to actually put a playpen and the older guy won't let go of his crate so I'm really lost here. Dog proofing the room will be a real pain tbh so I'm still confused.
I don't have to leave the house much these days but I'll have to work soon and it's bothering me so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
If you really need to crate both, could you stack one crate on top of another?

And - I'm sure you will know this, but still worth checking - you can't just put the puppy in the crate and expect him to be happy, you will need to spend some time getting him to accept it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The older one is used to his crate by now and goes in it on his own when he needs to nap I'm not really forcing him in or anything however it's the little guy who's still curious and I leave the house sometimes for work so I was a bit concerned he'll get into trouble. I don't have enough space for two crates and no where to actually put a playpen and the older guy won't let go of his crate so I'm really lost here. Dog proofing the room will be a real pain tbh so I'm still confused.
I don't have to leave the house much these days but I'll have to work soon and it's bothering me so far.
Locking the dog in the crate is still forcing him to be in there even though he walks in on his own at first. Or even if he likes to nap there occasionally.

How old is the puppy? The puppy needs to be at proper age and also taught to be alone before you can leave them.

I understand that it might be a pain to puppy proof but that’s really necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts