Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got a dog, i new i would one day be getting a full time job. I planned to crate him while i wasnt home and obviously provide lots of exercise before and after.
Well i live with my bf and his grandma lives upstairs. We got a corgi puppy who i took to work for the first few months because i worked at a barn. When the season ended i got a part time job. The plan was to crate him ( he was crate trained by that time) and my bfs grandma would take him out during the middle of my shift for a potty break. Well she ended up just staying with him in our living room the entire time. My bf wouldnt let me tell her not to stay with him, so i let her. I figured it was fine. Well now i may have gotten a full time job, and his grandma doesnt want to look after him anymore. But now here is my problem. Whenever he was in the crate and we werent home, apparently she would take him out, and now he wont stay more than an hour without howling at the top of his lungs and she comes and takes him out! She completely ruined his training and now i cant fix it because if he howls at all she just takes him out. I tell her not to but she does anyways. I thought about putting a lock on the crate but i know she will just sit in the room so he doesnt howl, which is still giving him attention. He also goes crazy whenever he sees her and just starts jumping all over her, and i told her this is bad behaviour and the no look no touch no eye contact rule but she still comes and pets him while im trying to calm him down. I stopped saying anything because i get so angry so i just leave. But now i have no idea what im going to do! I cant crate him while im at work, i cant leave him out because he destroys things when hes bored, and i dont have a fenced yard. My bf doesnt want to keep him in tbe yard even when it does ge lt fenced because he is worried something will happen. Idk what to do

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for all the mistakes.. I typed it up fast and not sure how to edit it now. Meant no talk, no touch, no eyecontact.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You can try a play pen or sectioning him off in a room where he can't cause damage. Unfortunately if the grandma keeps letting him out when he cries it's going to be near impossible to correct the behaviour.

Is the grandma someone that you can sit down and try and explain in a calm matter why she shouldn't let the puppy out? If not your options are limited. Most extreme being to move out. If you have the funds you can enroll him in a daycare, or maybe a friends or families house nearby either with them home or not you can drop him off there. When my pup was younger I would regularly leave him at a friends house downtown (in his playpen at first then gradually free roam with her dogs) during the day. I would drop him off in the morning and then pick him up after work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about attaching his playpen to his crate so he has some room to move around and play, but we need to find something to put over the carpet that he wont be able to move. And even then he may still whine because i usually leave him in the living room when im showering and stuff and ive heard him whine a bit in there but not like he does in the crate. All our rooms are carpet and he gets his teeth in and tears it up if he is bored so i wouldnt trust him for a full day.
I have tried to tell her but she just says she cant listen to him crying like that and she has litterally been acting like its her dog and doesnt respect that she cant make choices for him. i would LOVE to move out, but my bf is buying this house this summer, she is basically giving him the down deposit so he is trying to be nice and not cause any problems to screw everything up. But then she plans to rent from us for a year until she gets a new place. I hate this idea but it was in plan before i showed up and its an amazing gift from my bfs grandpa who passed away last year. I cant afford to live on my own and cant afford 40$ a day for daycare and the only people i know here are my family and they are terrible with dogs every time my dog stayed at my moms for a few hours he came back sick and puking. Im so frustrated ! any ideas what i can put on the carpet that he cant move, and easy to clean if he has an accident?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about attaching his playpen to his crate so he has some room to move around and play, but we need to find something to put over the carpet that he wont be able to move. And even then he may still whine because i usually leave him in the living room when im showering and stuff and ive heard him whine a bit in there but not like he does in the crate. All our rooms are carpet and he gets his teeth in and tears it up if he is bored so i wouldnt trust him for a full day.
I have tried to tell her but she just says she cant listen to him crying like that and she has litterally been acting like its her dog and doesnt respect that she cant make choices for him. i would LOVE to move out, but my bf is buying this house this summer, she is basically giving him the down deposit so he is trying to be nice and not cause any problems to screw everything up. But then she plans to rent from us for a year until she gets a new place. I hate this idea but it was in plan before i showed up and its an amazing gift from my bfs grandpa who passed away last year. I cant afford to live on my own and cant afford 40$ a day for daycare and the only people i know here are my family and they are terrible with dogs every time my dog stayed at my moms for a few hours he came back sick and puking. Im so frustrated ! any ideas what i can put on the carpet that he cant move, and easy to clean if he has an accident?

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's a junky situation. I feel for ya.

You can try looking for some rubber flooring, or some linoleum flooring that you can set over the carpet. Have you tried leaving the radio on when you're at work? Also during the nights and weekends I would play some crate games (google it) with him to get him more and more comfortable with the crate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, ill see what i can find.
He seems totally fine with his crate, he often goes in on his own and he sleeps in there at night. I think its just more of him figuring out how to get what he wants hes too smart for his own good. I know if he had just been left alone to cry it out the first time ( pretty sure the first time it happened he got spooked because there was dogs upstairs) he would never have picked up the habit. He was fine before that. Im going to start crating on short trips to fhe gas statio or store and ill put the fan on and radio is great idea thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, ill see what i can find.
He seems totally fine with his crate, he often goes in on his own and he sleeps in there at night. I think its just more of him figuring out how to get what he wants hes too smart for his own good. I know if he had just been left alone to cry it out the first time ( pretty sure the first time it happened he got spooked because there was dogs upstairs) he would never have picked up the habit. He was fine before that. Im going to start crating on short trips to fhe gas statio or store and ill put the fan on and radio is great idea thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
The more that you work on having him in the crate when you're around and can reward good behaviour the more I think it will help to undo so of grandma's influence. It's going to be a tough situation to work around. You can unfortunately only control your interactions with the pup. Hopefully the playpen helps. Also when he's in there look for some long term solutions to keep him occupied. Frozen kong, food puzzles, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.