Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just moved into our first house together and we work full time. Today is the first day that our dogs will be left alone all day. They have both been found guilty in the past of chewing (wood furniture, rugs, stairs, coffee tables, baseboards, etc) regardless of how many bones and chew toys we provide. On a usual day they would be supervised regularly, and only crated for max 4 hours a day. Now that we are moved into our home and working full time, these pups could be in their cages for up to 8 hours a day, which I find incredibly hard to do to them. I have arranged for my brother to stop by and let them out after he leaves school (2:30pm) but they would be crated again after he leaves until 5-6pm. any suggestions??
We are considering leaving them outside until my brother gets out of school, but that has it's own risks as well, and we are in the process of growing grass so it is mostly mud and hay.
Any tips on how to get a dog to stop chewing? or other suggestions?
Where do you keep your dog all day when you work full time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, it sounds like dogs have some separation anxiety. Becoming destructive or chewing household items when you leave the house is a sure sign of separation anxiety as well as toileting, vocalising etc...

If you crate them because they chew everything then it does indeed stop the chewing however, it doesn't change the way the dogs feel about being left.

Chewing is a completely natural behaviour for dogs and is generally encouraged (on the right material) for de-stressing & boredom busting purposes.
Being caged for 8 hours is fairly hard going for a dog which could cause frustration & increase the need to chew when out, however, like you mentioned you do provide plenty of chewing material.
Have you considered positively weaning them up to being left for longer periods very gradually if they're not used to it or employing a dog walker to break up their day..?
I agree it is a tricky situation, I understand you are thinking of leaving them outdoors.... depending on your household/garden security you could consider installing a dog flap so they have access to the garden & one room for example kitchen or conservatory. Hope this helps a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts