Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family just got a new dog. He's a rescue, 5 months old, Chihuahua/ pug mix. He's been with us for just over a week and we've got some questions.

The first night we put him in a crate. That was our original plan for night time. BUT he injures himself while in the crate. He has removed all of the skin from the top of his nose trying to get out of the crate.
We've since let him out of the crate at night. Not sure where he should go. He's been pooping in the middle of the night. The nights he hasn't pooped, he's been in our bed. That won't work anymore, though, because I've been pretty sick with allergies, since he's been with us.
On top of all of this, my three year old son has been showing some concerning aggression toward the poor dog- hitting, kicking, pulling tail, etc.
Needless to say, we're feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all of this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
For the crating, have you tried an exercise pen instead? It gives dogs a little more room and doesn't make feel quite so confined.

I would also highly recommend playing some games with him, so he looooooooves his crate. I would recommend reading this and also this.

The issue with the toddler is more concerning - for both parties. I would highly suggest intense supervision between the two. Just like dog training, reinforce your child for being kind to the dog. Nice petting, and gentle interactions. If he can't do that, remove him from the puppy. Make sure your puppy has a place to go to get away from your child and vice versa. This is very important as there is a real risk your dog could bite your child.

Here is a sticky with some information: Safety with Children and Dogs

Reactions: nrcybulski

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
He is still very young, and a small dog so they generally take a little longer to potty train. Keep taking him outside frequently (after eating, playing, or waking up from a nap) and praise heavily with treats and praise whenever he goes outside! He'll get there, the number one thing is consistency. :)

Reactions: nrcybulski
1 - 4 of 4 Posts