Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning ! :) Our problem is with a rescue dog we are fostering urinating in his crate. Here is his background. He looks adult, but under 2 years old. He was picked up as a stray so we know no history of how he was kept before (like was he an outside dog and just went when and wherever he was at the moment?). He has had a full physical, blood work and all and he has been neutered since being with us. Right now he has to stay crated because he is heartworm positive and our Vet has started the treatment injections, so his activity has to be limited. I work at home and take him out every 2 - 3 hours between the hours of 7 a.m.(or earlier) to 11 p.m every day. He will hold his bladder overnight, but he will not always give me time to get my coat and shoes on, get the house door unlocked, and get his leash on before he is wetting in his crate. (P.S. The minute he wakes me up stirring in his crate I get up and head right to get him out before I even go to the bathroom myself.) During the day too he has days when he will wet his crate, even when I am right there in the process of opening his crate door to get a leash on him. Also, he has a small water cup in his crate and I make sure he has plenty of water all through the day because I take his water away at 10 p.m. every night. I have also tried putting bedding in his crate hoping he would not want to soil that, but he wets that too. Please, your suggestions are most welcome.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like you just need to take him out more frequently. I would take him out every hour during the day and set an alarm and take him out somewhere around 3am. Also when he goes potty outside I would give him a tasty treat or 2 and some praise, that will make him want to hold it until getting outside to get a treat. You should also make sure to really clean out his crate with an enzymatic cleaner and would keep bedding out of there for the time being. Once he's a bit more reliable you can reintroduce the bedding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply. I will start taking him out even more often and giving him his treat outside, normally we give the treats when he comes back inside. When he does hold it until we get outside I do really praise and love on him after he goes. We use a light spray of Nature's Miracle to clean his crate pan.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Depending on the dog, the treat or praise might be the bigger reinforcement, the idea is that you want to give him the reinforcement immediately after he's done a good thing. The longer you wait until after he's done the less he'll be able to connect the treat with going potty, in this case every second counts, so you want to make sure the treat is ready to go. You can also use a clicker which makes it a bit easier to mark the proper behaviour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts