Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well friday we get to pick up my little guy! I feel mostly prepared and am very excited!

I just want to know people's opinions on crating vs setting up a play pen for him during the day when me and my husband are at work. He will be 11.5 weeks when we get him. Here is our schedule: Husband leaves early in the morning for work and then I get up with puppy and tire him out before I leave around 8:30-9. I come home for lunch around 12 and can spend some time with him again. Then my husband gets home from work around 3.

So that leaves him home alone for 3-4 hours at a time. Do you think he will be fine in a crate for that many hours? Or should I set up a playpen with potty pads in it. I am not a fan of having to transition from potty pads to outside and adding that confusion to him and most of the people I have known that use potty pads use it for smaller dogs (he is an Australian Shepard mix.)

We will be crate training him at night and for shorter periods during the day either way, it will just be whether or not I should pen him while he is still little.

I appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new pup!

Our younger pup was about 12 1/2 - 13 weeks when we brought him home and our schedule was similar to yours. We crated him while we were at work and never used pads. In fact, the crate we used was bigger than recommended for crating as a potty training aid and we didn't have any problems with accidents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I would love to start him off with the routine I plan on keeping him on for at least the next year or so. Thank you cookieface!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.