Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog came to us (about a month ago) relatively well crate trained, but not housebroken, and not trustworthy in the house without constant supervision (she's a chewer, young, and gets into things).
So she's in the crate at night and 3-4 days a week she's in it for about 7 hours while we're both at work. When we're home we'll occasionally put her in to get some peace and be able to relax for an hour or two, and sometimes we have short errands to run when she has to be in. She's starting to really balk at the crate. When we're minding our own business, she'll wander in and out of it, sometimes even lying in it. We reward her for this sometimes, by dropping treats in. But when it's time for us to go, we drop treats in and she refuses to go in. We don't really have any other options for when we're at work. We're probably pretty close to letting her sleep in our bed. She's done it a couple times when the crate wasn't an option, and was okay for the most part. But when we're at work she has to be in there, and I don't want to force her.
Any ideas to make it easier for her? We're working on a "go to your bed" command with our trainer, but it doesn't work for the crate, and barely works at all yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
most fo dogs doesn't like being in crates, and I can understand them. Do you walk your dog often? You need to know that exercise is fundamental, and you can try leaving him in a room or patio instead.

Good luck I hope things get better :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
most fo dogs doesn't like being in crates, and I can understand them. Do you walk your dog often? You need to know that exercise is fundamental, and you can try leaving him in a room or patio instead.

Good luck I hope things get better :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is there a room or area in the house you can use to confine her? A playpen or gated off kitchen or something of the like that gives her a bit more freedom but not enough to allow her to use a corner as a potty area? While she probably sleeps quite a bit while you're at work, having some room to play and stretch and move around would be helpful.

I'd also up the amount of treats in her crate at random times and introduce a high value treat that she only gets in (or while going into) her crate. Also if she's okay having an unsupervised bone or chew (bully stick or the like) or a stuffed kong I would leave that in there when you head out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have frozen raw meat we give her only in the crate, and she gets all her chews in with her. Our apartment is too small to cordon of an area. We could possibly use the bathroom, but I don't quite trust her to not find away to make trouble in there, regardless of whether she decides to eliminate in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there! I'm new here, but I'm well-versed with the crate thing. My young dog does sleep with me at night, and she is house trained. I put a small toy near her when we go to bed to keep her occupied if she's not very tired, and I crate her during the day while I'm at work (5 days a week, 8-5, I go home a couple times a day to let her out). Problem is, is that if you let her sleep in bed with you or in your room, going back to crating her at night will be hard, if not impossible.

I enjoy sleeping with my little one -- she really is a gem to sleep with, so I don't mind it at all.

HTH!

·
Registered
343 Posts
We have frozen raw meat we give her only in the crate, and she gets all her chews in with her. Our apartment is too small to cordon of an area. We could possibly use the bathroom, but I don't quite trust her to not find away to make trouble in there, regardless of whether she decides to eliminate in there.
Is she small enough that you can have her in a playpen? I used a 3'x3' pen when my guy was younger, worked really well. (he's a little guy though. Was penned during the day from 8 weeks to about 7 months old, a range of 3-8lbs)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm... You might want to try working on some crate games to help her like it more. I'd also give her treats when you're home and not planning on going anywhere - she probably made the association that her going in her crate = you leaving. So varying when you put her in the crate and when you leave might help.

Also if possible you if you can get someone you know, or a dog walker to come in the afternoons you work to let her out and give her a break from the crate during the day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you need to teach the dog, the crate isn't a bad place or a indication that you are not going to be with her, try to play some games with her in the crate and get her familiarised to it:p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been being more aggressive the last couple days about giving her more attention in the crate while I'm home. Her food's now in there, so whenever she wanders in I go over and praise her and scritch her while she's in there. I've just started introducing some of the former signals she's picked up on for me closing her in the crate, such as taking her harness off, without actually leaving. Or closing the door and then opening it again.
She seems fine with the crate except when she knows I'm leaving so I'm trying to downplay any leaving habits before putting her in the crate (or let a fair amount of time lapse after I do them, before I put her in), and demonstrate them more obviously when she's just hanging out in the crate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmm... You might want to try working on some crate games to help her like it more. I'd also give her treats when you're home and not planning on going anywhere - she probably made the association that her going in her crate = you leaving. So varying when you put her in the crate and when you leave might help.

Also if possible you if you can get someone you know, or a dog walker to come in the afternoons you work to let her out and give her a break from the crate during the day.

This happened to my dog and her crate. Originally I had her go in her crate every time I left. Eventually she wouldn't even go in for her dinner. She seems to do fine with the run of the living room and kitchen while I'm gone though. So I haven't fixed the issue yet. I think Thisisme19 gives good advice on how to fix it. Reward her for going in on her own. Make it an awesome place to be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey there, I had a similar situation. My ACD mix has to be crated when we're not home to supervise because she is destructive otherwise. We originally tried to gate her off in the kitchen instead but she chewed up the cabinets, walls, and the baseboards. I hate crating her while we are at work but until she's a little older it's just the way it has to be. In the beginning she absolutely hated going in there when I left for work. I would have to pick her up and put her in there, all the while she would stare at me with her huge, sad, puppy eyes. She would then bark and howl for the next 20min before finally quieting down.

I started giving her dried liver treats that she only ever gets when she goes in her crate. She now associates the smell with her crate, so if she's in another room I just have to wave the treat by her nose and she gets up and goes to her crate. When she's in the same room with me, I just have to crinkle the bag and she knows it's crate time. She eats a combo of dried and canned food, so I take half of her meal and stuff it into Kongs and freeze them, sticking little beef heart jerky treats in there too as an added bonus. She only gets these in her crate. Also, we put on "Spa" music when she's in her crate, so she also associates that with crate time as well. I can turn on the music and she starts to head back to her crate.

It took a couple of months, but she now is so used to the routine that she goes in to her crate with no issues. She is also crated at night because she prefers to sleep in there. Her bedtime is 10pm and if it's a weekend and I'm up later than that, she will start to walk back in to the room with her crate and pace until I open it to let her in there.

She doesn't really need too much structured exercise in the morning before being crated - we do training instead and I make sure she spends some time in our fenced in yard sniffing and checking things out, but when I get home from work I do make sure to spend time tiring her out with physical exercise. It seems to work for her.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A solution seems to have been found! We had tried raw frozen chicken legs and she'd freak out every time we put it in her crate, standing outside and barking in it and eventually begrudgingly going in.
But sticks! They're absurdly messy, but she is happy to lie in her crate chewing them even when I'm home and the door is open, so long as I tell her the stick stays in the crate (it's taking some work on that aspect, but she's getting it).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A solution seems to have been found! We had tried raw frozen chicken legs and she'd freak out every time we put it in her crate, standing outside and barking in it and eventually begrudgingly going in.
But sticks! They're absurdly messy, but she is happy to lie in her crate chewing them even when I'm home and the door is open, so long as I tell her the stick stays in the crate (it's taking some work on that aspect, but she's getting it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.