Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought an 8 week old home this week. We have been crate training him, which of course comes with whining and barking. We live in an apartment building and a couple of our neighbors have already complained to our landlord about the noise. The people right below us work from home, so we don't even have the option to practice his crate training during the day when everyone is at work. It seems like our options are:

1) Continue crate training with the very real risk that we will have to move out/get evicted because of the neighbors' complaints

2) Basically not crate train, or try to crate train but let him out whenever he whines to prevent excessive noise, which would result in a dog trained to whine to get what he wants and a dog with severe separation anxiety in the long run

Any ideas? We feel a bit trapped here so any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
175 Posts
First things first. I would have told the neighbours about the dog before you bought him home but,, buy a bottle of wine or flowers for your neighbours knock at the door and apologise.... Explain that you really are doing your best to bring up a social and well behaved dog but just like a baby (which is what he is) this takes time beg for their patience.. Its much harder for people to be angry or nasty if you are nice to them! So dont be defensive play the innocent...

Then a crate. If you really want this and I have to say I have never used one because I dont like crates or playpens for children I dont think locking a living being in a cage is any kind of life but thats me.. So if this is what you want, the crate should be his den , his safe go to place, the place he loves more than anything so feed him in the crate play games that require him to go in and out of the crate (toss a toy in and get him to fetch) make the crate inviting maybe with soft blankets etc but also with a tshirt or old sock that smells of you and dont place the crate too far away from you at first. Keep it next to your bed so he can hear you breathe. Remember he is a baby, he has just been ripped away from the only family he has known and left with you, he is most likely homesick and mouring the loss of everything he knows . So dont leave him isolated from life make him part of yours and not only when you feel like it but when he needs it thats often at night when he will be feeling most lonely.
As he grows to trust you and his crate you can increase the times he spends in it and the distance from you.
I hope this helps..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always give my dogs yummy bones and toys and kongs when they go into their crates for the night/ when I'm out of the house. It's important not to make the crate a place where the pup feels trapped. During the day, leave the door open.

I would start with crating him while you are there so that he doesn't feel alone. Give him a long filled with peanut butter and watch something on the TV or do something else in the same room as the crate. Start doing that in small time periods. Let him out after half an hour at the beginning, and take away the kong or toy or bone. So he learns that he gets the really tasty stuff when he's locked in his crate rather than learning that he gets left alone.

Have the dog exercised well by evening, and make sure you're taking him out for toilet breaks during the night. Pups can't hold it in for more than a few hours and the breaks from the crate should come before he gets distressed. Don't give him the opportunity to want to start barking or whining.

You'll need to use the daytime to crate train him, and slowly he'll enjoy his crate. Be in the room with him to help him be relaxed. When you're not training, leave the crate open with some of his toys in there, feed him in there but don't lock the door or give him his yummy toy.

Crate door locked = very nice toy.

If he's still not getting it after three weeks, you should probably hire a professional trainer.

Definitely be very generous towards you neighbours in the meantime

1 - 3 of 3 Posts