Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I'm kind of confused as to where to take my 3-month old puppy's crate training. I bought the crate with the full intention of using it to potty train her, but after the first day or two it became very clear that she's already housebroken! Not a single accident in the house, always waits until she's in the grass outside.

However, she's still a puppy. She chews and explores and can't be trusted while my wife and I are working. Our work schedules are perfect so that we can alternate coming home every 3-4 hours to let her out so that's not an issue. We need to confine her while we're gone, but at the same time I don't want to rush her into the crate before she's comfortable with it.

Any ideas? I don't have room for an ex-pen or anything like that. Is it so bad to just put her in the crate while I'm at work without the full "training period"? I've put her in there to test her reaction and she didn't make a fuss. She'd obviously rather not be in there...but she doesn't whine and cry. But I want her to enjoy the space and go in willingly after a while. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When you're home have the crate in an easily accessible spot with the door open and let her go in and out as she pleases. Toss some treats in there at random times for her to find later. When you do put here in there never force her, direct her to the crate and toss a treat in there to get her to go in. You can also put down a blanket and leave toys in there to keep her entertained.

That's great about her housetraining. I would caution that she's probably not totally housebroken yet, you're just doing a really good job of supervising and letting her out and/or keeping her on a consistent schedule. I only say this because a 3 month old puppy just doesn't have the bladder control to be fully house trained. So while she probably gets the concept and doesn't want to go in the house, she might not be able to physically hold it. So keep doing what you're doing but just keep it in mind that you don't want to push her bladder too far. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts