Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I recently adopted a one year old Pitbull Terrier. We are learning a lot of new things about Titan, but it'd be great to get others advice. We bought him a wire crate and it's perfect for him because he has room to move around in and we've been leaving the crate door open so he can get used to being inside. Well we tried stepping out to run a quick errand and put him in his kennel, and unfortunately he just kept barking and wouldn't stop ? Does anyone have any pointers that I can use to get him more accustomed to his crate? I'm going stir crazy because we can't leave him or he'll bark and cry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does he need to go in the crate - is he destructive if left out of it?

You need to start by letting him get used to it and loving it before closing the door, and then only closing the door for a few moments... no longer than he's 100% comfortable with. Then you need to increase the time he's shut in very gradually, at first with you still being in the room, then while you pop out to another room and so on. Only when he's comfortable with that can you leave him in it when you leave the house.

He may well have separation anxiety independently of the crate, of course. There's details of how to address this here: Separation Anxiety

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've started putting him inside the crate, we have his favorite toys and blankets inside as well. He does pretty well in it, he goes in on his own and we give him treats while he's inside to let him know he's doing a good job. He honestly loves the crate but the only issue we have is he'll cry and bark but not too much, when he sees we've left the room. He's getting used to being in there more and more since he has been sleeping in it for the past couple of nights and doesn't cry at all when we leave the room to go to bed but I would love to be able to leave him in there and go run an errand and know that he'll be okay and won't cry. I'll definitely have to check out the separation anxiety thread, thank you so much for your advice I really do appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to mention, he's not destructive, we've left him home alone for about 45 minutes and he did awesome! He just likes to walk around but I'm scared he'll go potty inside if he's anxious about us leaving. We've left him alone once at my mother in law's house and he went potty inside and got into the trash. Honestly I think it was just because it was the first time we left him alone. But he's not destructive here at home, I just wouldn't want him to go potty inside and start to think it's okay to use it inside. So that's the main reason why we're trying to crate train him so we can know he won't get into the trash here at home.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it were me, I'd be less concerned about him going potty in the house and more concerned about him being stressed by being left in the crate (but then my dog and I never got on with crates). Ideally, you wouldn't be leaving him any longer than he was comfortable with, though, and building up in small increments.

The simple answer to trash is to make sure he can't get access to it - you can be pretty sure that if he can, then he will! There are (supposedly) dog-proof rubbish bins (SimpleHuman is a brand I've seen recommended), or you can just shut the door to the room it is in. My rubbish bin is in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, but not everyone can spare the room for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts