Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have FINALLY given in and bought a crate for our 2nd dog. She is living with us almost 3months now and her chewing on things subsided for a few weeks and we were delighted, however in the last week she has become so unbearably destructive that I have not other choice but to crate train her or else we will have to give her back to the rescue centre.

I have always avoided crates because I never understood them or had a dog who needed one. But now desperate times after she has pulled curtains off the wall, dug numerous big holes in the garden, is jumping up on top of the counters and has torn the leather off our brand new suite of furniture - calls for desperate measures.

I want to train her as quickly and smoothly as possible. She is a very laid back dog so I am hoping she wont mind it too much.
How long should it take before I can comfortably leave her in the crate for upto 4 hours at a time - which is the longest she will ever be confined in a 24hour period. We wont need to crate her at night as she usually sleeps all night and most of her destruction happens in the mornings after I go to work for a few hours.

I really need help with this asap as I just bought the crate and want to get started straight away.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Start giving her all her meals in the crate, without locking it. Also, give her a stuffed kong or something nice every time she gets crated. NEVER use the crate as a punishment, or in anger.

Mostly, once she's crated in a quiet spot with a sweet treat, ignore her. Don't look at her, don't talk to her. Odds are, she'll whimper, bark, and make a ruckus. Don't respond. If you're at home, let her out once she's been quiet for a while. Also, try covering her crate with a sheet so she can't be triggered by sights.

You should be able to leave her home before you know it.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.