Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old husky puppy that we have had since he was 8 weeks old. Ever since we got him he has been peeing in his crate everyday. At first we just attributed that to being a puppy and needing the proper training, but now 5 months lated I'm at a complete loss of what to do. We have tried absolutely everything you could think of; taking him out extremely often, potty breaks in the middle of the night, different crate sizes, different style crates, sleeping in our bedroom vs. in another room, controlled water intake... Even more that would take up this entire post to list.

We have been working with an amazing, private dog trainer for months, but still nothing has changed. He pees in the crate completely random. Sometimes over night and during the 7-8 hour work day, he is totally fine and the crate is clean. Other days he pees. Sometimes during a 30 min -2 hour errand trips, the crate is clean and other days he pees all over the place. Our other husky puppy (9 months old) has never had a crate messing problem. And he doesn't ever really pee in the house while he is out. Theres been accidents here and there but it's very rare that he will pee in the house. We can go a few days with no peeing in the crate, but it always comes back to be an issue.

We have gotten a urinalysis done possibly thinking he had a UTI, because it is very dark urine and smells horrid, but that came back fine. His pH was low but the vet said not low enough that it isn't necassarily anything to worry about. He was the runt of his litter so the breeder recommended waiting until a year old to neuter him, just so he could grow to his full potential, but I'm wondering if getting him neutered will help anything. I use an enzymatic cleaner to be sure to get the smell out.

The only thing I haven't done is get a security camera of some sort to watch his behavior right befofe he pees, which I'm hoping to get today.

I love this boy to death but I am so defeated and exhausted from the daily baths and extensive daily crate cleanings. I have done everything possible to help him and still feel as though I'm failing him somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
I think the camera is a good idea, but some dogs do take longer than others to house train.

But the main thing about toilet training is to have him outside frequently, i.e. at those times that he needs to wee; toilet training is a combination of vigilance and timing. I am actually a little confused about how you take him out frequently if he is crated during the working day. And would it be possible to have him in a pen rather than a crate? If he is so confined that he has to lie in it, that would at least stop him having to do that and cut baths on the bathing.

When he toilets outside, do you reward him generously and immediately? It has to be generous to make it worth his while to hold his toilet, and it has to be immediate so that he realises that it is for toileting and not for anything else such as coming to you. You could try a new reward that is only used for outside toilets, roast chicken or frankfurter sausage are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes, while we are at work we obviously can't take him out. Im speaking of when we are home, we got out for potty and exercise after about every 1-1.5 hours. We have a decently tall pen that we tried but he kept finding ways to escape, like jumping or knocking it over, and would get into things in the house. I have rewarded immediately when he pottys outside since the day we got him, but I haven't tried using a different high reward that is just soley used for that. I will give that cooked chicken a try, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
I would guess then, that the problem is that you aren't there to toilet train him. He won't be able to learn if you aren't there to teach him.

Can your family take some staggered time off work so there is someone to take him out every hour, for several weeks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are not able to take off work. I changed shifts at work so that he's alone for 6 hours now instead, but that's about all we can do with our job positions. He's not just peeing while we are at work though is my concern. He usually makes it through the night and the work days, and will pee during the random trips out for groceries, etc. We get to him as fast as we can when we get up or get home because the pee is usually fresh as if he pees right before we get home or as we are walking through the door. But I'll continue doing all we can do get him out as much as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts