Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 3 WK female ShihTzu and we are using the crate method for potty training. I have found all kinds of info on the maximum time they can be left in the crate but my question is the opposite. As long as someone is in the floor with her ready to snatch her up ( gently of course ) to go potty how long can she remain out of the crate. I am retired and so most days I can spend almost the entire day with her. Also in the rare occasion that we have no choice but to leave her crated for longer than recommended as long as it is a rare thing how much damage will be done to her training?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you sure you meant a 3 week old pup? Maybe you meant a 3 month old. I have found -- crating or not, most pups need to go out every half hour until they start to understand the concept - then slowly increase the time to once an hour until you are confident that they understand the concept. After that every two hours until they are about a 6 months old. By then you can regulate her eating/drinking schedule so you can predict (and train) her potty schedule.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an 3 WK female ShihTzu and we are using the crate method for potty training. I have found all kinds of info on the maximum time they can be left in the crate but my question is the opposite. As long as someone is in the floor with her ready to snatch her up ( gently of course ) to go potty how long can she remain out of the crate. I am retired and so most days I can spend almost the entire day with her. Also in the rare occasion that we have no choice but to leave her crated for longer than recommended as long as it is a rare thing how much damage will be done to her training?
Just to get this straight in my mind. Are you asking about crate training your dog or potty training your dog?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts