Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got our first puppy, a 9 week old French Bulldog, and am trying to get him used to being by himself in a crate before we go back to work. is it best to take a slowly slowly approach (10s, 20s, etc) or put him in for 2 mins and if he cries, wait for him to calm which will increase the time hes in there? to help calm him, should I sit by the crate and reassure him or let him do it all by himself? I really dont want to pick the wrong one and open the crate too early and give him bad habits. during the night, he cries for up to 20mins after we've come back in but then settles himself. does this mean he knows what to do or is this only cos its nighttime? Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Try the 1 minute, 2 minute, 5 minute, etc. Every time you come back to the crate, be very happy and full of love and treats. As time gets longer, you can practice going outside and returning as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely think im making progress.... he still cries when hes put back in his crate after nighttime bathrook breaks but they are getting shorter bursts. one thing i had to do last night was let him out of his crate while he was a little vocal but he hadn't been to the bathroom before bed and as soon as we were outside, he peed, so im hoping this was the correct decision. If i decide to have him in the crate for 2 minutes today with the door closed and him awake, should i be in the room with him for the duration? He tends to get more vocal if he can see me sitting nearby. Do i just wait for him to settle down, even if that takes longer than the 2 minutes i intended to give him?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely think im making progress.... he still cries when hes put back in his crate after nighttime bathrook breaks but they are getting shorter bursts. one thing i had to do last night was let him out of his crate while he was a little vocal but he hadn't been to the bathroom before bed and as soon as we were outside, he peed, so im hoping this was the correct decision. If i decide to have him in the crate for 2 minutes today with the door closed and him awake, should i be in the room with him for the duration? He tends to get more vocal if he can see me sitting nearby. Do i just wait for him to settle down, even if that takes longer than the 2 minutes i intended to give him?
Be consistent. The dog will respond to mental challenges, and will eventually surprise you. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts