Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive started to crate train my new puppy. It's not going bad but she does whine and howl for awhilw when i put her in, natutally shes a pup and wants to be around me and my other dog. But she will eventually quite down and either sleep or lie there. However i noticed that when i have my other dog in her crate and i put the puppy in her respected crate (both crates are in the same room) she does not cry or howl at all. Should i continue to do this as part of crate training or am i helping the development of separation anxiety? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a possibility that it can cause separation anxiety- you need your pup to be okay with being alone from time to time. Does the older dog always sleep in a crate still? Or is that just to see if the puppy responds better? If your older dog always sleeps in a crate, then there isn't much you can do about it, I'm sure they will be fine. However, if you plan on letting the older dog not be confined in the future, it could possibly start issues if the pup isn't ready. The pup could get confused and dislike the change. If you traditionally crate your dogs all the time, no matter what age, it probably won't cause any anxiety since there will be no change even as they age.

I recently did the whole crate training thing a few months ago and made sure to feed my little guy in there every day, every meal. Literally. I put the dish in his crate for meals and let him sleep next to it. It made him associate the crate with his favorite parts of the day. He no longer is fed in his crate, nor does he sleep with the dish, but he now loves to go in 'his house' and relax during the day. I was able to train him to understand the words "in your house" so he knows when it is time to retire for bed. He walks in willingly. If you have not tried that method, give it a go! It definitely made my food motivated beasty love his little hideout cave!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wouldn't crate your other dog with the puppy. If you do, she will learn to only be quiet when the other dog is around, and that's not truly crate trained. I'm sure there will be times when the dog will need to be alone, so she needs to be ok with it. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My older dog no longer stays in the crate at night. She has earned my trust to not destroy anything. However she does go in when i have to leave the house for a couple hours. As far as my new pup i almost never have them in the crate at the same time, unless im leaving the house.
I was just curious as it seems she does not make a peep if they're both in the crate.
As far as my older dog, she is completely crate trained she makes no noises while in the crate and when i say " go in the crate" she walks in and plops down.
I will definitely give that a try with the food!

Next question about crate training. When is it time to move up to a bigger size. Shes currentlt about 15lbs and is in a med. However on black Friday, tractor supply had a 50% off deal so i bought the extra large crate. At what point ahould i transition?
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts