Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I have posted this before but we're really desperate for ideas.

Zoey *loves* her crate. She runs in there for rewards and is always put away with toys, nylabones/antlers/her root and a stuffed Kong. She will sleep happily in there for hours. The problem is the noise that she will *sometimes* make in there.

Sometimes she will whine for all of five minutes and then be done and fall asleep, but other times she will whine / howl for hours on end. We always exercise her and as I said put her away with her Kong, we've never reinforced her for whining...aaagh, what else can we do?!?! She's driving me up the wall!! :p She has been whining for over an hour tonight and I am so, so sick of it...she did the same last night too. The night before there was no noise. I'm finding it impossible to ignore as I'm freaking out that the (new) neighbours will complain...any help or ideas will be appreciated!! I could understand it when she was a little puppy, but sheesh she is over a year old now! :rolleyes:

I think sometimes she sleeps too much throughout the day or evening that by the time bed time comes she doesn't want to sleep anymore...what can we do about that?! Training before bed, flirt pole, DAP diffuser??

Do you think we should get another crate so she could sleep by us at night time (although she would be left alone in the early morning as we walk Kasper before letting her out)?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Does she get exercise and training during the day? Covering the crate might help, as allied suggested. Where is her crate at night? Has she ever been let out of the crate when she's cried?

·
Registered
724 Posts
So I know I have posted this before but we're really desperate for ideas.

Zoey *loves* her crate. She runs in there for rewards and is always put away with toys, nylabones/antlers/her root and a stuffed Kong. She will sleep happily in there for hours. The problem is the noise that she will *sometimes* make in there.

Sometimes she will whine for all of five minutes and then be done and fall asleep, but other times she will whine / howl for hours on end. We always exercise her and as I said put her away with her Kong, we've never reinforced her for whining...aaagh, what else can we do?!?! She's driving me up the wall!! :p She has been whining for over an hour tonight and I am so, so sick of it...she did the same last night too. The night before there was no noise. I'm finding it impossible to ignore as I'm freaking out that the (new) neighbours will complain...any help or ideas will be appreciated!! I could understand it when she was a little puppy, but sheesh she is over a year old now! :rolleyes:

I think sometimes she sleeps too much throughout the day or evening that by the time bed time comes she doesn't want to sleep anymore...what can we do about that?! Training before bed, flirt pole, DAP diffuser??

Do you think we should get another crate so she could sleep by us at night time (although she would be left alone in the early morning as we walk Kasper before letting her out)?
I would definitely put a crate next to your bed. My girl does the exact same thing your dog does and after I moved the crate so she could see me, it got better.

I also try to tire her out every night and I usually give her something to chew on while we go to bed. Then she chews and chews and tires herself out and falls asleep :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the helpful replies everybody :)

We will cover her crate to try make it more 'den' like and feel more secure...I don't know why I didn't think of doing that earlier...

Grabby, she is exercised, trained and played with everyday. We've never let her out whilst whining. And her crate is downstairs in our dining room (if we have it in the living room with us she is much louder, but when she slept by us at the old house when she was a very young puppy she was generally quieter)

Leaveittowever, I think we're gonna pick up an extra crate and try having her by the bed for a week or so, and see if that helps calm her overnight...if not, well we gained a spare crate ;) And yes, maybe we should add an extra short walk for her right before bed too...

Thank you again :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Omg we took Zoey on a walk, put her in her crate with her toys and her kong, and took Kasper for a walk...when we got back we let her out, she trotted into the room and started chewing her nylabone from her crate, and we discovered she has wrecked the plastic tray of her crate....AAAGH!!! :eyeroll:

I don't even know how she's managed that, and why now after a year?! Aaaagh!!! So we're buying a new crate tomorrow and hoping she doesn't do the same to this one...!

Why why why why why??

*sigh* You've gotta laugh...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Omg we took Zoey on a walk, put her in her crate with her toys and her kong, and took Kasper for a walk...when we got back we let her out, she trotted into the room and started chewing her nylabone from her crate, and we discovered she has wrecked the plastic tray of her crate....AAAGH!!! :eyeroll:

I don't even know how she's managed that, and why now after a year?! Aaaagh!!! So we're buying a new crate tomorrow and hoping she doesn't do the same to this one...!

Why why why why why??

*sigh* You've gotta laugh...
Oh jeez! Just so you know you can order replacement pans! Don't spend all that money on a whole new crate :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the heads up, unfortunately we bought this crate from a STUPID shop (damn you Pets At Home lol) and there are no pans that would fit as it must be an unusual size...insert more AAAGH here!! ;)

If we do end up buying a new crate (which it looks like we are going to have to) should we be buying one of the ones with a metal bottom to prevent further chewing incidents? :confused:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to double-post, missed the edit time!

We have gone for a metal tray ;) Found one at a really good price online, half the price we were going to be paying at a local shop!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts