Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I brought home Faolan (fwail-un, Gaelic for "little wolf") from the local animal shelter. Though unimportant to me, he was listed as a Husky German Shepherd mix. The more I look at him, however, I wonder if that is near the truth. I've done a bit of research to come up with only some vague descriptions... I have a theory that he's part Coyote. They tend to run rampant around this part of NC, and he was brought in as an unneutered stray.

I would like to list some of his unremarkable characteristics and hopefully get some input!

He is very, very timid, but shows no sign of aggression. He is definitely a bottom of the pack type dog, but he is incredibly intelligent. I introduced him to first my dog (who is alpha female and rarely immediately gets along) and he immediately rolled on to his back and they became best friends. Same scenario when introduced to my roommate's dog. (No complaints here!!) He doesn't seem to have ever been "someone's dog," as he initially had no interest in me, or people in general... but has not so far been aggressive. He learned, in the course of a day, to walk on a leash and get in the car (again, after seemingly being totally unsocialized to people.)

He runs with his tail down... His very long, bushy tail... and has huge paws with retractable claws, so I think he has a ways to grow, though he doesn't look much like a puppy. He is a bronze type color, with hints of black going down his back. His muzzle almost fades to white, like a fox. He has neon, and I mean NEON green eyes, with dark black surrounding the iris as well as black going along the shape of his eyes. He is relatively long and thin (partly build, partly malnutrition), and has a coarse coat. His ears point up out of his head like a German Shepherd, but when he is scared, nervous, or tired, they kind of flop out to the side.

He truly is a BEAUTIFUL dog, but I wonder, is he part Coyote?

Photos:
https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10201584993577797&id=1566675029&set=pcb.10201584994337816&__user=1566675029

https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10201585593432793&id=1566675029&set=a.1085346425003.2014523.1566675029&__user=1566675029

https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10201585837358891&id=1566675029&set=a.1085346425003.2014523.1566675029&__user=1566675029

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10201585720195962&id=1566675029&set=a.1085346425003.2014523.1566675029&__user=1566675029

Also, I have yet to hear him make a real sound, though he did let out a small growl that sounded like... Something other than a dog. I feel like his bark may be a yelp if he ever lets it out. lol He also has an extraordinarily large shoulder... His wither (between his neck and back) is, IMO, unusually tall.

As of now, I'm the only person that he will be active around. He follows me all around the house and runs with me in the back yard, but he splays his ears out and curls up in a ball when my roommate or friend is near.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I definitely couldn't tell you for sure, but some of his traits and his appearance do have me questioning. He very well could have coyote in him. I fostered a wolf hybrid a few years ago, he was very low though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know of two dogs who are confirmed coyote mixes (confirmed by DNA testing)... one does not physically look much like a coyote except his expression. There are so many mixes that can look like your dog that have no coyote in them, I would be careful of jumping to conclusions.

Also, both of them are behaviorally absolutely and obviously NOT dogs. Since he's only been home one day, I think you'll have to wait a bit to see how his personality really shakes out, but a dog that acts like a typical dog is probably not a coydog or is such low content that it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your dog's gorgeous, but the chance of him being part coyote or wolf or dingo are very very very VERY slim - like winning th lottery jackpot slim. And coyotes don't have retractable claws (husky/malamutes tend to spread their paws when running for traction)

A coydog wont have eyes that brilliantly blue - actual hybrids almost always have amber/ yellow/gold type eyes.

Do you know what his back story is? His behavior could be put down to anything from shelter life, socialization, breeding, or simply his personality.

Also, even in the one in a billion chance there's a bit of coy in there, for legal and liability reasons, I'd advise you not to go around calling him one

Again he's a handsome dog, and most definitely a dog. Good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Edit - sorry, can't quite tell from the pics what color his eyes are. They seem blue. Still, much too light to indicate being a hybrid

·
Registered
30 Posts
....and this is why I should stay off forums when I just wake up. My brain doesn't connect things quite as easily.

·
Registered
259 Posts
....and this is why I should stay off forums when I just wake up. My brain doesn't connect things quite as easily.
Hehe I know what you mean. I usually need three hours and a vat of coffee to wake up in the morning XD

I guess I'm so used to people (not the op, who's just speculating) boasting that their black and white, blue-eyed, clearly probably-mostly-husky-but-purely-dog is half wolf or something. It's usually people trying to make their dog seem extra special but would proabably balk at raising an actual wolfdog. I've had a few people ask me if I thought their dog had wolf in them, and usually accept it well when I explain why most likely not.

Edit- sorry faolan, too tired to tell if it was pointed out, but could also be he's shy from the shelter and still warming up to you and his near home. May take a few weeks for him to show his full personality.

Now - coffee!

Reactions: Adee

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I can't get any of your picture links to work for me, but I have to agree that your chances of having a coyote cross are really small. Just let him settle into the household for several months and then re-evaluate his behavior then....

·
Registered
259 Posts
His eyes are gold/green, not blue.
Thanks.Yeah, can see the green-gold better now. Really can't get over how handsome he is. I thought they were ice-blue at first, the double checked after my first post and it was too late to edit. My bad. Grown coys usually have amber, orange or yellow-gold, so still wouldn't take that as an indication

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I can't see the pics either, but judging by the comments, he sounds gorgeous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hehe I know what you mean. I usually need three hours and a vat of coffee to wake up in the morning XD

I guess I'm so used to people (not the op, who's just speculating) boasting that their black and white, blue-eyed, clearly probably-mostly-husky-but-purely-dog is half wolf or something. It's usually people trying to make their dog seem extra special but would proabably balk at raising an actual wolfdog. I've had a few people ask me if I thought their dog had wolf in them, and usually accept it well when I explain why most likely not.

Edit- sorry faolan, too tired to tell if it was pointed out, but could also be he's shy from the shelter and still warming up to you and his near home. May take a few weeks for him to show his full personality.

Now - coffee!

Yes! Definitely NOT as magical as many people believe it is. I fostered a low content a few years back, would of LOVED to keep him. He was definitely not as hardcore as most would think. Very shy. I can't even imagine what owning a high content would be like :eek:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Like a lot of people said, the chances that you found a coydog at your local shelter are very slim. Isn't it enough that he's a beautiful, unique dog, does he really have to be something else? I'd stop wondering, that dog is most certainly a dog. :)

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Eeeeep I'm going to go against the grain and say, where I live they are actually quite common. I have definitely met a handful of them and have a few friends that have them. I live in a very wild place with lots of coyotes and not that many loose dogs (unless they are on the reserve). Many people have lots of land and their female in heat are just let out. Then the male coyote comes along. Also, I have heard of female coyotes actually coming to a tied up male.

Now. That is here, but I can honestly say I have never heard much about it other than in my area (South-East British Columbia).

I also cannot see the photos :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts