Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard that there is a lot of controversy on cow hooves. Some say it is a great natural chew, others say it is a dangerous one that fractures teeth.

I've heard that they puncture the intestine, yet from other sources I hear they they soften with saliva and that's why they are not dangerous once consumed.

I am kind of curious as to what everyone's take is on them. Do you feed them or do you stay clear?

Thanks for your time ! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know some dogs who are fine with them (usually filled with something yummy and frozen). However when I gave our Husky one, fragments perforated parts of his gastrointestinal tract and he ended up with acute pancreatitis. Not personally ever going to buy one again.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I give them to Zody and he's fine with them, my old dog Shadow also never had a problem when I gave them to him. Zody chews on them and never tries to bite off large pieces, Shadow also chewed on them, and I think that's why he does not have a problem with them.

How does your dog normally eat chews? Does he chomp down on them trying to bite off large pieces or does he gnaw on it. If he's chomping down I'd steer clear, since cow's hooves break off with sharp pieces and a large piece will likely cause problems in the digestive tract. If he's gnawing on them then it'll probably be fine since when a dog gnaws on the hoof it does get soft where he's chewing and he'll be swallowing small pieces.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give them to Zody and he's fine with them, my old dog Shadow also never had a problem when I gave them to him. Zody chews on them and never tries to bite off large pieces, Shadow also chewed on them, and I think that's why he does not have a problem with them.

How does your dog normally eat chews? Does he chomp down on them trying to bite off large pieces or does he gnaw on it. If he's chomping down I'd steer clear, since cow's hooves break off with sharp pieces and a large piece will likely cause problems in the digestive tract. If he's gnawing on them then it'll probably be fine since when a dog gnaws on the hoof it does get soft where he's chewing and he'll be swallowing small pieces.
Chester gnaws, though he won't hesitate to eat pieces he has chewed off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts