Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's cool. When my bro and I were very young, we used to visit my grandma in the country/rural setting. There was a yellow lab we named Buffy who was always there when my bro and I were out to play with us in the feild. He was someone's dog who loved to play with the kids (us). I loved that dog, he used to run with us, my first interaction with a dog like that. The breed will always have a place in my heart. Very loyal and kind.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Experts are finding out so many things that dogs can do, and are more than willing to do if they are trained for it. some can smell cancer, and of course we have all heard of service dogs who can alert a person to low blood sugar or a coming seizure. At this point, I wouldn't scoff at any report of a dog doing something remarkable, especially if it has to do with smell.

The thing is, dogs are so completely amazing that human beings have only barely scratched the surface of what they can do. Many of us who are dog people have known all our lives that dogs think, have many of the same emotions we have, are intuitive and so on, but the scientific world has been woefully slow to catch up to what I and others knew when we were only children.

The good part now, is that as more and more is discovered with dogs and the amazing (to us) things they can do with ease, they should receive more attention, protection, and more respect from human beings, and I see this happening. It's far better than it as 50 years or so ago.
The bad news is that it's not happening fast enough or in enough of the world to save many thousands of dogs from being mistreated, neglected, eaten, raised in horrible conditions as if they were inanimate objects, and otherwise abused.

I try to respond to this by helping out any dog I can when I have the chance. You can't save them all, and I have to remind myself of that. But if you can save or help this one in front of you, that's something good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts