Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Levi and I are all registered for our first Rally-O trial at the end of August! It's been a while since we've done any rally training (we've been heavily focused on agility), so I figured this would light a fire under me and cause me to get training. Plus, I think Rally will be a less-intense entry point to get my feet wet in competing so I (hopefully) won't be so nervous when we start trialing in agility.

This thread will mainly just be to post little videos or updates on how he's doing. Heidi is...not ready for competing just yet, but she MAY make an appearance or two.

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yay! I can't wait to see the video. And so excited for you! You guys are going to be awesome.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yay!! I'm super excited for you and Levi. I'm super excited for videos as well. I've been debating whether or not I want to try this year with Aayla but its scary signing up for that stuff and knowing that you actually have to preform!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, videos have been bad about being uploaded, but we've mostly just been doing signs by themselves, and they are kind of boring to watch.
So here he is @ThatYellowDog @jclark343
We're doing 13 signs here, with most of them being turns and direction changes, since his position changes are pretty good, I figured it's his heeling that needs the work. I'm quite pleased actually, especially with his left turns, he's getting pretty good at swinging his bum out of the way.
We obviously need to work on those two last signs, which are some of the hardest of the bunch, but I'm hoping to find an outdoor space to bring my signs so we can make larger courses!

I don't if it's just on my computer, but that above video looks super strange so... here!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Looks great! Those last 2 signs do seem really difficult but you can really see Levi is trying to figure out what you're asking of him. On the way! And great job Heidi for being a great quiet little spectator in the cage in the back! Lol.

Also I watched the video that came on right after of them playing with their brain game toy. I loved that Heidi nailed in in an minute and a half. Once she realized that she just has to take those cups off she was determined. Levi, after 20 seconds of licking it gave you the face like 'Come on mom, this isn't FUN'. Even Heidi stopping in halfway through to ask her brother if he needed help. Lol.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@jclark343 - Haha I know. Poor buddy. I don't even think Heidi cared about the food, she just likes taking the cups out. :p

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Shandula, and I just want to kiss your dog's faces every time I see them!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too! We'll have to have a giant DF doggie meet up so I can play with everyone's dogs. XD

·
Registered
871 Posts
Love it! He is doing great. His butt swings with the left turns are doing good! We've been working on that as Aayla is a little sloppy. I'm so excited for you guys to get to do this! I had no idea Heidi was even in the room! She was so good.

Can I say (again? I don't know if I typed it out or not) how jealous I am of your dog room. It's bigger than my backyard. I have to drag all of my gear out to a local park and have everyone stare at me while I assemble everything.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Great!!! That is a really tight course too :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it! He is doing great. His butt swings with the left turns are doing good! We've been working on that as Aayla is a little sloppy. I'm so excited for you guys to get to do this! I had no idea Heidi was even in the room! She was so good.

Can I say (again? I don't know if I typed it out or not) how jealous I am of your dog room. It's bigger than my backyard. I have to drag all of my gear out to a local park and have everyone stare at me while I assemble everything.
Levi's left turns have been our biggest struggle for soooo long. What made an enormous different was body awareness/hind end training (so back paw targeting, balance discs, pivoting on a disc etc). Once we started that his left turns improved MASSIVELY. Try it with Aayla!

Heidi is improving daily with her ability to watch and not go bonkers. She still has a tough time with very fast movements (damn herders...) but her barking has decreased a ton, yaaay!

Thank you! I'm obsessed with that room. It's so funny, when we were buying a house, one of our requirements was that there had to be a dog training space! I'm a crazy dog-lady for sure.

Great!!! That is a really tight course too :)
Thank you! Once you get the signs in there, it is seriously hard to move around. :p

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, we've been practicing with fewer signs just because we don't have the space to really try for the 22 signs, but hopefully it won't matter too much. Last night we tried to double-stack two of Levi's biggest distractions: Heidi and my husband. So we had them playing tug in the corner very close to us. He did really well. Uncovered a couple of little issues. And just for fun, we gave Heidi a turn at the end.

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I love that the moment you told your husband to watch he nailed it. My dogs do that ALL the time. I think you guys rocked it. He got that side turn sit a lot better (I don't know what it's called) even though he did swing his butt out a little wide. He was SO good at ignoring the distraction. Also I loved that he totally joined in on dad's play time when he was done.

Heidi is SO Border Collie. She's got the stare the whole time. And when you ask for a down she SLAPS down. She did great for not having one class.

I also love that your husband watches you! Best camera man ever!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shandula, that was great! Heidi is super cute (they both are, but I'm partial to BCs :))
I'm very jealous of your indoor training space...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shandula, that was great! Heidi is super cute (they both are, but I'm partial to BCs :))
I'm very jealous of your indoor training space...
Thank you! I'm starting to get nervous, but I just realized this will be the only time I get to have my first competition with my first dog, so that's very exciting.
Thank you for complimenting my training space. My poor husband is very understanding. :rofl:

Reactions: Sha and jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Shandula, when is your trial? And I KNOW your husband will be there video taping it for us, right?!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Shandula, when is your trial? And I KNOW your husband will be there video taping it for us, right?!
It is this Sunday!! And yes, hubby will be on stand-by to video so you can all see how (hopefully great) we do!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
EHHH! So close! Y'all are going to do awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EHHH! So close! Y'all are going to do awesome!
Ahh thank you. I am SUPER nervous. We did a session in the park today for the first time, and was really pleased with how he did. In this park, there were people with dogs on leashes, a kid's football practice, and RIGHT behind us there were a couple dudes playing baseball, plus his biggest distraction my hubby and Heidi.

A couple of issues:

1. Heeling was not his best, but I think that's the heavy level of distraction.
2. He has started sitting and immediately going into a down, so needs some help there.
3. His slow pace was poopy.
4. The 270 left wasn't his best.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I think it looks great. It's also good that you know what he is weak at and know what to work on.

Random question, are you allowed to have food on you? I know in agility you are not allowed to have treats or a toy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts