Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Back in December 2020 we fostered, and subsequently adopted, a rescued dog here in the UK. The 4th dog we have rescued over the last 20 years.

When we took her on, we thought\assumed she was a Collie crossed with something. Maybe a Labrador or more likely a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. And that is probably the case. But, over the months we were asked by so many people "what is she" or "what is she crossed with", combined with character traits we were not expecting, like extreme cheekiness, immense destruction, considerable boundary pushing, balanced equally by extreme intelligence, good response to training, eagerness to please, and very much a guarding like mentality. We started to question our thinking. Then the other day, quite by chance as I was looking for pictures of dogs for an unrelated reason, the following picture from Getty Images appeared, and for a moment, I thought "thats a photo of MY dog!!". But I realised it wasn't and then I read the line beneath that described the dog as a "Thai Dog". Googlign ensued, and all I kept seeing was articles and videos about "The Thai Ridgeback".

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/close-up-headshot-of-thai-dog-lying-down-on-the-lawn-with-catchlight-in-both-eyes-gm1336841503-417950985

I had a look at the pictures and videos via Google etc, and physically she seems to share all the common traits of Thai Ridgebacks, she has all the same character traits too from what I see on YouTube. She even has a black "racing strip" of hair down her back, which is courser and longer than her short fine hair on the rest of her body, and she raises it enormously when she wants to look bigger (but then so do many dogs). But the strip is not quite like the typical ridgeback strip and she Black and White, like a Collie, which I gather is not a colouring of a Thai Ridgeback, which are either red, black, or grey.

She has settled in well as a family pet but is very weary of new visitors to the house, though she settles down once she knows they are no threat. But she can smell fear a mile off and reacts very differently with visitors who seem scared. She is very intelligent and responds well to training and after 8 months of hard work she is lot more settled now as long as she gets two good walks a day.

I have attached a few photos of her, and I wonder if you might be able to tell me your thoughts? As you will see, she looks exactly like the one I linked to above which is stated to be a Thai Dog in Getty Images. Do you think she is just a regular Collie crossed with something, or do you think she may have some Thai Ridgeback in her? Or might she even be a Thai Ridgeback and neither I or the rescue shelter realised?

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Dog Carnivore Collar Dog breed Working animal

I can show more pictures if it will help and even videos. But didn't want to waste folks time if it is a resounding "No, of course not!"

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,773 Posts
To be honest, my first thought was collie / staffie cross - given how rare the ridgeback is in the UK, it isn't a cross you would expect to come across. We never complain about more pictures though!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
She is so gorgeous, I love her face! So although I can't comment on breed cuz I'm not good at it (although imo she looks mixed with staffie), I'm just saying we don't object to more pics and vids just for fun 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, OK, maybe I was adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 :) Happy to have had the views of others though. I will probably cease my thoughts on the subject. I just figured if indeed she was a TR, I would better be able to marry up her various character traits to the breed. I could always get one of those DNA tests done but I recall there was talk that was a bit of a scam and not really that accurate and a waste of money. Anyway, I'm glad you like the look of her. I attach a few more pics for fun as requested :) Thanks again (seems like a nice forum - I'll probably stick around for sure now I've found it )
Dog Sky Carnivore Plant Grass

Dog Ecoregion Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed

Dog Eye Plant Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Ecoregion Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I know a lot of people are doing the Embark tests and are happy with the results. A friend sold a puppy from a Australian Shepherd cross by her male poodle. An Aussie Doodle. When she sent in to Embark, the test came back that the puppy was a purebred Poodle. so???

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have heard....anecdotally, so don't know if true for sure or not....that people have even sent in their own DNA and had it come back poodle X labrador, or something. I do know for certain that at least some of those tests are not accurate, since I know people who have sent in their purebred dog's DNA, or from their dog whose mix they already know for sure, and had it come back something else.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Those test are looking for dog species. Still that doesn't sit well when non dog genes come up as something. It's like someone working at a store who doesn't know how to answer your question and just makes something up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ha, OK, maybe I was adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 :) Happy to have had the views of others though. I will probably cease my thoughts on the subject. I just figured if indeed she was a TR, I would better be able to marry up her various character traits to the breed. I could always get one of those DNA tests done but I recall there was talk that was a bit of a scam and not really that accurate and a waste of money. Anyway, I'm glad you like the look of her. I attach a few more pics for fun as requested :) Thanks again (seems like a nice forum - I'll probably stick around for sure now I've found it ) View attachment 251728

View attachment 251729

View attachment 251730

View attachment 251731
I see a pure thai ridgeback regularly on walks and yours definitely isnt one

·
Registered
931 Posts
I 100% trust embark. Without a shadow of a doubt they were 100percent spot on with jesse. Can i scientificaly prove it to others no but sometimes you just know👍.
People need to be aware how easy it is to cross contaminate sample if you have different dogs in household so you have to be VERY careful your only getting the dogs dna your testing on there. Thats how dodgy results come up.
And if a human testing themself has touched any dog and not been meticulous with there testing then yes dog dna will show. I dont believe any human would have done that though just for fun cause embark tests are expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the input. I think we can safely conclude the thread as SOLVED in as much as it looks like I was off base. It does make me question, now, the credibility of Getty Images though, which I was always of the understanding had a fairly rigourous validation process of their images and associated titles. The dog picture I linked to in my post which first set me on this direction is a mirror image of my dog (as I said, I thought for a moment someone had lifted one of my images from my website), and apparently is a "Thai Dog". Whether that actually means "Thai Ridgeback" is debatable of course. Maybe there are other types of Thai Dog besides TR's. Anyway, thanks again everyone for the insight and guidance.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Ah......that may be the source of confusion. "Thai dog" probably meant in this instance just a photo of a dog someone took in Thailand. That's the thing about Google....it will turn up any and all things that have in the title any of the words in your search.
I think that's what happened this time.
But also, I always remember that anyone can post any photo on some website and title it anything they want. So I could post a photo of my white fluffy dog and title it "my Doberman" and it would show up if someone Googled for images of Dobermans. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts