Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog is now 1,5 years old and she is a sweetheart, but wild. Now, naturally she's still young, but she's more reactive and has much more of a prey drive than any dog I've known previously. She's quite easily frightened, skiddish and a tad bit unpredictable. She's very fast and agile, quite vocal (yips like mad if we spot a deer or squirrel), but smart and easy to train. Everywhere we go, people ask me what kind of dog she is, because she is so thin/tall and looks special. I think she's beautiful and elegant.

I did a DNA-test on her, and it estimated that she's 3/8 GSD, 1/8 husky, 1/8 American Foxhound and 1/8 Rottweiler, while 1/4 was unknown. Due to this I doubt that she is anywhere near a 50/50 coyote/dog, but I'd love to get some outside perspective from others. Here are some pics:

I got her from a shelter, her puppy litter was turned in by someone who found them and they don't know anything about her background. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old (fostered her litter).

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
We need a side-on photo, showing her full body, head, & tail...

...to really see any possible breed-traits that would be clues to her ancestry.

Personally, i'd say not GSD but BSD-Mal, looking solely at those batwing ears -
BSDs, Dutch Shepherds, & GSDs are all closely-related breeds; in fact, decades ago, when the Belgian Shepherd breed-club voted to evict all brindle dogs, the Dutch Shepherd club accepted the banned brindles as Dutchies.

We need to see her nose to tail, from the side, standing - with no clothing, blankets, etc, on her. // The photo should be approx level with the point of her shoulder, or the middle of her chest - so U might want to put her on an elevated level surface, such as the bench of a picnic table, then take the photo while U sit nearby.
It can be helpful to have someone hold her leash, out of the camera's field of view, so she doesn't hop down; i'd have the camera ready BEFORE she's in pose, to catch her quick; U don't want to make her fidget. ;)

- terry

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Very striking dog!:)
I don't see any reason to believe there is coyote in the mix. If I were to guess what the unknown part is, based of those photos I would think something with a slender build. Sighthound perhaps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
i can only see ONE picture...

the last one - "Little red riding-hood".

the 3 above it are small light-blue squares, about 1/8-inch square - no photo, & they aren't clickable.
- t

·
Registered
340 Posts
The images didn't work for me in Chrome, either. I only saw little red riding hood (adorable!).

For Flickr images to work with the img tag (at least the way I do it since I use Flickr, too): click on the "download this photo" button and then click "view all sizes" and use one of those image urls. :)

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
thanks, Tomboy - i saw all 3 photos in yer post, no need to download. :)

I still say BSD-Malinois-X, probly with either Foxhound or any of the tricolored French scenthounds -- those with ticking.
The ears & the tight-to-the-body sable-tipped coat, that scrawny tail, are all Maligator; the ticked muzzle, white sox, white bib, narrow blaze, & white spangle on the back of the neck are all scenthound markings.

- terry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I did have some trouble finding and uploading descriptive pictures. I agree that BSD-mal would make more sense than GSD - she's such a slender and light girl (44 lbs). And from my understanding, that might also explain some of the prey drive and "sharpness" that I see in her too. Along with her coming from a stray dog population, perhaps.

I don't want a coydog: I'm not looking for that kind of trouble. Especially since I have emigrated from the US with her - I don't think either country would be very pleased with me if it turns out I've transported a partially "wild animal" under the guise of being "a dog". I guess this is why I freaked out a bit and turned to you :)

I'll take a photo of her from the side without harness once I get home, and will try to upload it properly this time :)

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
As far as my opinion, that last pic clinches it -
she's a Maligator-cross; quite possibly the other side of the family was a hound-sighthound X, such as Treeing Walker x Greyhound.

That down-draping tail when she's obviously relaxed & curious is a sighthound family trait - their tail carriage is loose & low, they raise it to wag. :)

The predatory kick is also typical of sighthounds - they are extremely responsive to MOVEMENT, & can see moving prey for a 1/4-mile -- they can't I-D what's moving, but they go for the motion, & I-D the critter when they get closer. // A long-line would be a good precaution, when hiking or out of town; a deer could take her miles away in minutes.

Be careful of her around cats! And possibly toy-sized dogs as well - U don't want her to injure a Chi, Pom, Rat Terrier, MinPin, or similar-sized dog.

- t

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Heh, yes, I am most definitely careful with her around any living creature smaller than herself. She's actually good at playing gently with smaller dogs once introduced, but I am very aware of the act-first-ask-later response to any unidentified movement. I've never spotted this many animals in the woods before.. In the woods I always keep her on a leash/long line now, after "the incidents": she found a moose once and decided that is was infinitely more interesting than I was. I also let her lose once in what I thought was a safe area, only to learn that she can definitely compete with roe deer when it comes to speed.

I've had others remark on her tail positioning, so that's interesting to hear. Sighthounds have been guessed before by others, especially when people see her run - the girl's got some moves.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
When I saw those ears my first thought was a Podenco! But, I figure that is highly unlikely unless you're in Europe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts