Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old German Shorthair Pointer has come down with a cough, that sounds a lot like kennel cough. Mostly, she has a few "huffing" coughs and thats it. Occasionally she will have a "huffing" cough that ends in a single "cackle" cough that usually produces some blood (a couple small drops), this happens maybe once every few hours.
this morning there is blood on her blanket. Id say about 1 teaspoons worth.

She eats and drinks, poops and pees normal.
Temperature is normal.
Energy is mostly normal. She wags her tail and trots around. Doesnt seem to be in any distress. Im trying to keep her resting though
She has always been a loud breather/snorer
My other dog is fine. Neither one has been around other dogs

Went to the Vet on the 2nd, was prescribed Doxycycline and Tussion(hydrocodone), but she wasnt that bad at this time and I cant even physically see the Vet cause of Covid19. No Xrays were done.

Ive got the humidifier going and water boiling on the stove, and im going to start taking her into the bathroom with some heavy humidity and tapping her sides.

Im just trying to think of possible things

Back in November, she dug under the fence and got a hold of a dead racoon and ate much of the bones. It had been dead for a long time, no flesh at all, just bone and fur.

Maybe she has a foreign object in her lungs, like a blade of grass or a thread of cotton, but not sure.

If i can get in to the Vet today, I will probably take her, probably for Xrays, but im not sure if that would even change the current treatment.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. The blood has me really concerned and is stressing me out bad. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also called the Vet on the 3rd to confirm she has some blood with the cough and she said she would pass that information to the doctor and call me back if need be. they have not called back

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Can you get to another Vet? Is there an emergency Vet clinic in your area, if so take her there. She really needs a Vets care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took her in again today. XRays and Blood work. Blood work doesnt come back until Monday. Xrays revealed a couple small "nodules in the lungs. And they were concerned about her vertebrae, a "disintegrating / reactive" issue. they want me to take her to get an ultrasound of the region.

She still has a fluid cough sound and an occasional hack that produce small drops of blood. when she is sleeping she is fine. her energy is ok, but getting less so. My other dog knows whats up.

Im sure its likely cancer that has moved to the lung. I just wasnt prepared for this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts