Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reluctant to ask this question so havnt for a long time. Jesse for nearly a yr has been doing a weird cough that sounds like a few short sharp coughs then a retch. It started out the blue and for nearly two weeks it was very frequent throughout each day by the end of the 2 weeks he was coughing up blood cause hes throat was so irritated. Then as sudden as it started it stopped the frequency and has been just a few times a day. Ive noticed when he lays on his back it seems to trigger it. The vet has been to my house several times to listen to his heart very thoroughly and is adamant his heart sounds very healthy and also checked for i think it was laryngeal collapse type thing and couldn't produce any cough when pressing around throat to try trigger it, so thats ruled out. Vet said dosnt know whats causing it. She gave a echinasea tonic in one of the consults to see if it helped but it didnt.
@Mad Murphy helped enormously with jesses migraine diagnosis which id still be at a loss if it wasnt for her so i thought maybe someone might have some clue as to what might be going on?

·
Super Moderator
6,137 Posts
Can you try keeping a diary to see if anything is triggering it? You may already have thought about things like cleaning products but even things like reaching the end of a bag of dry food might mean there are more microscopic storage mites, or something else that's equally far off your radar.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you try keeping a diary to see if anything is triggering it? You may already have thought about things like cleaning products but even things like reaching the end of a bag of dry food might mean there are more microscopic storage mites, or something else that's equally far off your radar.
My house is fragrance free, im very sensitive to fragrances. He dosnt eat dog biscuits

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My house is fragrance free, im very sensitive to fragrances. He dosnt eat dog biscuits
Im central coast, nsw.
Hes always been on heartworm preventative but i know they can still get heartworm while on it. He has comfortis plus. I never gave this a thought ill be looking into this, we always have alot of mozzies even in the middle of winter and they bite him they always hoard around him. I highly doubt its this but ill look into it, thankyou for suggestion

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In certain parts of the USA this could be heartworm, or Valley Fever, or something else that is endemic to that area but I don't know where you live so cannot comment on that.
Been researching and definitely not heartworm, has no other symptoms and the vet im sure wouldve considered that if she thought a possibility. Its probably just weird allergies🤷‍♀️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts