Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 9 year old German Shepherd contracted Valley Fever something this year, around Feb or Mar. She had no symptoms other than a limp in her right front leg (soreness in the 'elbow'). X-rays showed that the infection was in her bone around that joint.

The vet put her on 500 mg of Fluconazole. We give her 250 mg twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.

2 blood tests have shown that her liver is able to handle the drug. The enzymes are not elevated. But everything that I've been able to read about Fluconazole says that the correct dose is usually 10mg/kg of boy weight. She weighs 27 kilograms. So if I do the math correctly, she should be on 270 mg per day.

I haven't asked my vet about this yet, because I wanted to get more info myself. Is 500 mg too high? She has been lethargic and her appetite is somewhat suppressed.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, our vet said that poor Laika would have to be on the medicine for at least 9 months. At that time, we'll have another blood test done to check the titer for Vally Fever. Our vet said that some dogs are on the meds for years. I really hope that's not the case with our little girl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts