Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Steven,

I could use a stiff drink right now. All of the community colleges in my district are going 100% on-line for the rest of the semester. I was o.k. with a month, but this feels much different.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
@Mad Murphy , regarding pet walking and overfeeding treats to compensate, we had an email from the vet yesterday stressing, amongst other things, that as of that date there had been no proof of pet to human cross infection.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Guys, what kind of alochol should I panic buy? Planning to get smashed regularly when we're all confound to our to houses.
I prefer a classy beverage with a kick and semi-high alocholic content.
As long as it's over 60% proof it can be regarded as preventative medicine?

·
Registered
518 Posts
That silly people are hoarding toilet roll and pasta is bad enough but I would expect better of a world leader.. Did he intend to let the rest of us die? Or did he hope to hold us to ransom for something? Either way its disgusting and proves the old saying ...power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely..

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@Mad Murphy - How is daily life changing in the Netherlands? How is everyone holding up?

I'm about to head to my college for two days of training in how to teach on-line. I think we're all a bit concerned about the inherent risk of doing this.

I made a supermarket run last night. Since I went later in the evening, the store wasn't overly crowded with people. However, many sections had bare shelves. People were friendly and cordial. I thanked the store manager and the employees on my way out. They are doing a tremendous job.

While I was there, I sent photos of the decimated shelves to my husband, who's in Korea. He sent me photos of completely stocked shelves in Seoul. Only masks and hand sanitizers are hard to come by. Oh the irony.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@Sunflower_ Happy Birthday! I'm sorry that you won't be able to celebrate it with your friends, but I'm glad to hear that you and your family are well.
Happy birthday Sunflower. I hope you can make the best of it, even if you can't go out with your friends.
Thank you! I had a great birthday even though it was a bit more quiet than expected?

I’m not sure what to think or do regarding the situation in Sweden. The government refuse to announce a lockdown and people are speculating that they won’t do it because it would cost them a fortune (more than for other countries). However, the ”public health authority” recommend people to work from home and discourage elderly to go to the stores. Especially in Stockholm (the capital).

The government doesn’t seem to see this as a big of a crisis as other countries. For now it seems like they will keep acting cool and collected until it really hits. Since they don’t test people anymore it’s impossible to know how serious the situation is. If you think you have corona you should just stay home until it goes away, like a normal cold. Even China have criticized Sweden on how we’re handling the situation.

As for the Netherlands I believe they’re in lockdown. I’m partly dutch and have many relatives there so would love to get some extra input on the situation.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
If your country hasn't shut down yet, it will. And the shutdown will be very fast and very dramatic.

A week ago, I was teaching my students on campus as usual. Now my college is closing its doors and all instruction is going online.

My son is an exchange student in west Africa. A week ago, the country had two confirmed cases. Now all of the schools at all levels have been closed indefinitely, and we're trying to get him out in the next couple of days.

A week ago, the local supermarket was full. Now the shelves are bare. My morning commute was 1 hour 30 minutes. Today, it took 35 minutes.

It's coming, and it will come fast.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok situation in the Netherlands, Some idiots are panic buying. thats the same the world over , last week was fine but as soon as the govt made an announcement the fools hit the shops.

People have been asked to work from home if possible . All schools are now closed. Doctors and dentists are only performing emergency work. Physio etc are not working because of the risks.
All bars, cafes restaurants etc are closed although delivery is possible but.. you have to pay online and the delivery guy will ring your bell and put your order on the mat. Stand back and wait for you to take it in.. Post is delivered but no one has to sign for a parcel .
All forms of entertainment are closed no swimming, sports, cinema, museum, nothing, no zoo or amusement parks are open . But the tv cable co Ziggo have made film channel and kids channels that are normally a preminum package free for everyone until the lockdown finishes.

Less trains are running and many busses and ferries are taking only 1 third the normal amount of passengers to allow everyone to have plenty of space between them.
Shops that are open are only allowing payment by card no cash.

No more than 30 people at a funeral or wedding and they have to stay 1.5 mtrs from each other.
All of this until 6th April. (at least)

·
Registered
222 Posts
No more than 30 people at a funeral or wedding and they have to stay 1.5 mtrs from each other.
'You may now throw a kiss to the bride'! The wedding photos would be interesting....

In the UK, BoJo is as effective as always... He strongly advises us to avoid pubs, restaurants, etc., but won't actually order them to close, meaning they can't claim on their insurance when no one comes.

But then there's the 'herd immunity' approach - as far as I can work out it involves locking up all the oldies and other vulnerable people, letting everyone else get C19, waiting till they - or most of them - get better and then let the oldies out again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good evening! Natalie here. In Maine, we are just beginning to see the virus and it’s effects. We are about a week behind every other state in the US and as of today, only about 8 or 9 confirmed cases. We are fortunate that the deep freeze of winter is over, as my major concern going into this was are we going to be able to get heating oil delivered so we don’t freeze. I am stocked up with food (I normally do) so that is not an issue for now. As the days go by, we are seeing everything shutter and eventually (soon) will be confined to our homes. My biggest fear at this point is focused more toward the crazy people panicking and thinking the world is ending, and less on the virus. Just stay calm. We have no control nor do we know the outcome of this. We just have to get thru one drama and be ready for the next. Hope everyone stays safe.

Natalie & GrizzLee The Sneaker Monster

·
Registered
518 Posts
Two things maybe unique to The Netherlands.. When the new rules were announced there were huge queues outside coffeeshops from people stocking up on hash/joints, the govt has now said coffeeshops are allow to use a takeway service like buying a train ticket so that people can still get their weed...

The second took place last night ..In a show of solidarity and appreciation the whole country clapped and made noise to show the medical profession how much they are valued.. Even the Royal family joined in with the princesses banging saucepan lids.. King Willem Alexander said we are clappen from thanks and respect to all the medical personal who are working so hard to protect us all against this awful virus.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for asking @JoanneF. We have plans in place, and once everything goes together, I'll post an update an a couple of days.

@MadMurphy - I have a high school who now lives in the Netherlands and who shared a video of the show of solidarity. Well done!

Life is changing so quickly, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
All is well! I woke up to the good news that my son's flight had landed. I am much relieved.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
You must be a lot happier. We are not yet in lockdown but some of the more remote areas are reported to be openly hostile to people passing through, for fear they are bringing the virus - even if they aren't getting out of their vehicles. And that is really scary.

·
Registered
518 Posts
@SusanLynn really happy for you that your sons flight landed and hes safe.

Here the sun is out. What a difference , I knew it would happen people suddenly went nuts, people were like..'corona? whats that', as they flocked to beaches and parks totally ignoring the advice from govt.
We had an NL alert via the phone yesterday , its a govt warning system to warn people of dangers like fire or flood but this was one saying Keep your distance.... Beaches were closed by several town councils just to stop people congregating but DIY store and garden centres were packed...

We avoided our normal walk and headed for the indiustrial estate on the edge of town, no one working on Sunday and edged by fields it was empty and peacful...

In Germany there its now forbidden to gather in groups of more than two (unless you are family) and hefty fines for those who ignore the advice.. I can see it being bought in here and I for one would welcome it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We went to our local heath yesterday thinking it would be quiet... there were a lot more people than usual, though, and it's difficult to stay 2m apart when you're on paths.

My worry is what to do if anyone in our house is ill. Jasper will be unbearable if I don't walk him - he's too much a creature of habit to settle for 'home entertainment' if he's decided he needs a walk. I could walk him round quiet residential roads and pretty much guarantee not getting within 10'-20' of anyone else, can avoid touching anything, even poo bins... But it is going against the letter of the guidelines and the more people strictly adhere to the guidelines, the more it will become the standard thing to do.

Having said that, after setting out for the park this morning, he decided very quickly to self-isolate and go back home for a play in the garden instead. He's probably a bit thrown as OH is working from home and when he's home, he normally does the morning walk.

We're planning on meeting up with DS2 and fiancee tomorrow for a walk as it's my birthday (they were going to come over), but we're going to try to stay 2m apart. We might have to shout as OH's hearing isn't great!

I can't get ill as I'm doing grocery and pharmacy runs for two of our neighbours now!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts