Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone doing these days? Is coronavirus a concern for you where you live? How has this outbreak affected you?

I live in Southern California. While we have very few known cases, everything is shutting down. Even Disneyland is closing for the time being! People here are starting to get worried and are stocking up on supplies.

I'm a college professor, and we received official word yesterday afternoon that we must teach all of our classes on-line beginning next week! Luckily, I was able to talk with most of my students about the change yesterday afternoon and this morning. Now, we are all scrambling to get training and transform our face-to-face classes to online ones.

So far, the impact here is more economic than health-related. Time will tell, of course.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am in B.C. Canada not near any big city so still pretty quiet around here except for the ridiculous buying up of all the toilet paper everywhere. I would think they would be stocking up on food rather than t.p. if they were going to be stuck in their homes for 14 days.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm on the south coast in the UK and it's pretty much business as normal - though you've more chance of finding Afghan puppies for sale in the local pharmacies than hand sanitiser. There was a confirmed case at the gym my son goes to and as several of his workmates also go there, his company got everyone to work from home for a week or so. He actually had a bad cold/flu a few days before the case was announced... cough, shortness of breath, fever.... :eek: But he phoned 111 (the NHS line) and they weren't concerned.

We've now been told that if we develop even the slightest symptoms, we shouldn't leave the house for seven days. What about walking our dogs? I don't want to go against the advice, but if I stick him in the car and take him to the nearby heath, I can easily avoid getting close to anyone (though I might have to keep him on lead so he doesn't run up to someone and be a vector for the disease).

I'm not worried for myself - I'm late 50s but don't tend to get ill and even my colds tend to be mild - but am for more vulnerable people.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
I am in the UK, I did my normal supermarket shop yesterday. There was no hand sanitiser gel, and only a,few bottles of hand soap - but plenty of shower gel, people may not have worked out that would be a decent substitute! I was at Crufts dog show last weekend, two large exhibitors had pulled out and the hosts had put out loads of handwashing stations. Apart from that, little has changed.

I can see how easily it will spread, things like coins in shops, using a card in a machine and keying in a PIN etc are going to be risks.

By the way - to make your own hand sanitiser, use 2/3 of aloe vera gel plus 1/3 surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol. You could add a few drops of essential oil for perfume if you wish.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Im in NL and in a fairly sparsly populated county no big cities.
Yesterday the govt made a statement which has closed all sports events all gatherings of more than 100 people so all concerts theatres cinemas etc.. This is in effect until March 31.
People who can work from home are being asked to do so and others are being asked to use common sense make shopping trips only if needed and such like they are asking to pay by pin as much as possible to spare staff from handeling cash. Some higher education places with a lot of exchange students are closing but normal schools will remain open. The govt have said there will be one new offical bulletin each day to announce any new rules regarding public events or movements.

For me no change. I walk the dogs as always there is no panic buying so far and life just goes on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
@JudyN, as I understand it self isolation would still allow you to walk your dog as long as you stay away from people?
Have you seen any official guidance on that? According to the AVMA (so US rather than UK), if you have C19 (which if you show symptoms, you could have), you should get someone else to walk, feed, play, pet, generally interact with it, which would be impractical for most people. Though OH is hoping he'll have to self-isolate so he can indulge his new hobby and paint all day!

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
You are right @JudyN - I had seen somewhere that it was ok to go out as long as you don't get close to other people but the advice now is not even to go for a walk. That, to me, seems extreme but no doubt there is a reason.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania, where there are not many cases yet, and already, schools are closing down. It is fairly certain that today is the last day of school for me (I am in high school) and after this weekend, all classes will be moved online. It’s pretty crazy. They are also cancelling all sporting events, large gathering, etc. Everything is pretty much being cancelled.
As long as I can still go outside and walk my dog, everything will be just fine. But if I have to be stuck inside, both my dog and I will definitely go stir crazy.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am in Kansas and I work at a university. This week was spring break; next week has been given as another break to students and classes will start online the week after. So many different things on campus are shutting down - theatre, rec center, etc. - but officially the campus is still open, for now. So we've been told we can decide for ourselves whether or not to work from home.

Not sure what I'm going to do, personally. I can easily do my job from home but one of my supervisors is particularly irritated with the frenzy and so I'm afraid I'll appear "alarmist" if I choose to stay home. That said, my parents are in their 60s and I have a history of having just little colds turn into pneumonia, so that's something for me to consider exposure-wise. Said supervisor is also in his 50s and has very sick parents in their 80s so I'm wondering if he'd feel differently should one of them become sick (currently he feels everyone should just be exposed to it, get sick, and then have immunity). Another person who works in my office has a husband who does immunology research and he's not so sure that this particular strain offers the kind of immunity you'd want; ie if you get it once and get better you may well get it again and worse the next time around.

But who knows. So much is up in the air.

I have supplies and medications and my dog is reactive anyway so social distancing even on walks is a cakewalk for us. Thankfully I also have a fenced in backyard for bathroom breaks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My son's getting married in August and there has to be a question mark over a large gathering of people from all over the country (and Norway, where the Best Man lives), particularly when several are in their 80s.

There's also a family wedding next month, and I'd be travelling there & back by two trains & London Underground. How to decide whether to go or not?

·
Registered
496 Posts
In Sweden we’ve apparently stopped testing people for corona, if you’re not in a risk group. They say it’s “not important” to know the exact number. Which means that we can’t know how many cases of corona we have. I think the last number was close to 800. For such a small country the situation have become more serious then I could ever have thought in this short amount of time.

The government have banned gatherings of more than 500 people. But schools and workplaces (even with 500 people or more) are still open. I have personally only been affected in the way that I can’t go out (to party) anymore. I had planned to go out and celebrate my birthday with my friends tonight but the nightclubs have close down. And my friends are too scared to attend the party we were going to tomorrow. So I guess my only hands on affect so far is that I will have a quiet weekend. Which is a really an insignificant “issue”, but it still gets a bit more real and scary when you can feel how it affects your life.

It’s not clear how people that are put in home quarantine should take care of their dogs. People are mad because the lack of information, if you call to ask about the matter they’ve said that they don’t know and that you have to solve it best yourself. Of course this issue mostly affects people that live in apartments. They don’t know how to handle the situation if they’re in home quarantine with their dog.

I‘m not worried for myself but I’m scared to catch the virus and to spread it to people in risk groups. I met my grandparents yesterdy and I weren’t allowed to hug them (even though they’re very healthy). It was kind of heartbreaking and I could see that they got really sad. It’s for the best but it’s still sad and very weird.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Sunflower_ Happy Birthday! I'm sorry that you won't be able to celebrate it with your friends, but I'm glad to hear that you and your family are well.

@PoppyKenna and @MooseMan1 - It's amazing how quickly everything is shutting down in the States. It's very dramatic. All public schools in Los Angeles have closed their doors. We had a huge town hall meeting with our college's president on Thursday. The professors (yes, I'm on the faculty) can all work from home. However, the college will still be open, and the classified staff have to come to work. Those who work in admissions, financial aid, and other offices are very concerned about their potential exposure.

My dog is looking at me anxiously to walk him, so off we go! Let's keep sharing our stories.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live in Western Australia. It’s bigger than Western Europe; four times the size of Texas, over2500 km to the next capital city and has 14 confirmed cases. So, if it weren’t for lots of plane travel, you’d have to think the odds are fairly low of catching it. However we’ve still had the mass toilet paper buying frenzy etc and all large sporting events have no spectators ( and believe me that’s considered a tragedy for an Australian) and music festivals have been postponed and my medical friends have worked out the approach needed when winter and flu season hits. My home is isolated and I’ve never been more pleased for the sake of my little dog, but I really feel for so many, especially casual workers, who’ve lost income and for the family of the brave Chinese Dr who tried to sound the alarm and was silenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
Happy birthday Sunflower. I hope you can make the best of it, even if you can't go out with your friends.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here in Los Angeles, everything continues to shut down at break-neck speed. Last night, I went shopping at my local supermarket. It wasn't particularly crowded, and people were quite friendly. However, many of the shelves were already bare. I was able to fill my shopping cart, but my choices in terms of products and brands were limited.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The panic buying here has started not widespread, but it makes me laugh the things people stock up on... Toilet rolls which seems to be a worldwide standard,,, bread fresh as well as the semi baked type and pizza ??? As if you can live on pizza alone! Most chemists are now saying only two packs of paracetamol per person to avoid hoarding .
Our two major supermarkets have issed statements saying there is no shortage just a few empty shelves because they cant physically get more toilet paper on the shelves but the warehouses are full and deliveries will be arriving as normal.

A very funny video appeared online from a warehouse worker showing huge stacks on toilet rolls and him thanking all the hoarders for his overtime ...Amid the thousands and thousands of rolls he calls out to another worker, hey theres a shortage and they both crack up laughing..

One trend I have noticed is about people not walking their dogs.. Saying things like mummy is giving us extra treats because we cant go walkies ,, or its pee pee in the garden until we can go out again. No one has said that walking the dog is forbidden lord knows if they can face a supermarket dash they can walk the dog unless they stand around hugging and coughing on other dog walkers all the time..

I think this is just a too lazy to bother trend showing its face and using the virus as an excuse.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts