Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My mom's friend breeds corgis. She breeds the same male to the same female. This time she had 8 puppies. So cute. They have tails. Why do they have tails if the parents do not have tails? They are pembroke welsh corgies.. My mom's friend took the puppies to the vet to have them cropped off. So now thet don't have tails. I can't wait to see those puppies when there older. hehe..:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
The parents must've had their tails docked when they were puppies too. All breeds of puppies (that I know of anyway) are born with tails, just some breeders have them docked. So that's why the parents do not have tails and the puppies do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Corgi's were created as herding dogs. To prevent the tails from being stepped on and broken they were docked. Breed standards require a docked tail and to comply with these standards most breeders will have the tail docked on those breeds where this is a standard. Many breeds have docked tails though some breeders are now converting to natural look as in most cases dogs today do not perform the work they were originally bred for. In these cases, these precautions are no longer necessary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Um...som' corgis are genetically born without tails (same with aussies)

Thats how they made borgis...
GENETICS CAN BE FUN - Part 1

Corgis and boxers were crossed to produce "bobtailed" boxers...that is boxers who didn't need docking.

Its a long VERY cool article. :)
This I was aware of but was only trying to explain reason why the breed was required to have a docked or no tail. Actually, I bred Aussies in the 60's and 70's... being born with natural bob definitely made it easier than having to dock them.....:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are some corgies with the "bob tail" gene where they are born with short tails. There was also an experiment done some time ago where they bred one with a boxer to get the same "bobtail" effect with out having to dock a dogs tail.

In this experiment they got a purebred boxer x Corgi litter. 2 dogs out of the litter were born with the bob tail that needed no docking. They bred these until they were able to get the boxer appearance back and with the bob tail gene. Most registries especially in Europe will not allow boxers with the bob tail gene. I wish the US had strict standards for breeding like Europe does.

Check this article out.
http://www.boxerunderground.com/1998%20issues/oct_bu_98/bobtail.htm

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
There are some corgies with the "bob tail" gene where they are born with short tails. There was also an experiment done some time ago where they bred one with a boxer to get the same "bobtail" effect with out having to dock a dogs tail.

In this experiment they got a purebred boxer x Corgi litter. 2 dogs out of the litter were born with the bob tail that needed no docking. They bred these until they were able to get the boxer appearance back and with the bob tail gene. Most registries especially in Europe will not allow boxers with the bob tail gene. I wish the US had strict standards for breeding like Europe does.

Check this article out.
BU - Oct 1998, Bobtail Boxers Part 1 - Dr. Bruce Cattanach

um...see post #5 lolz

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts