Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Flexi cord leash now for my Pug (w/ harness). Dropped the Flexi in the toilet once. :) Since then it's ceased a few times when I wanted to retract the leash. I guess I rusted out some component. And will be in need of a new leash.

When I first got my puppy the sales girl at Pet Smart recommended "tape leashes". Never said why? Are they better than cod leashes? If so why?

I thin there are also "belt leashes"?

Have always used cord leashes. Never dropped them in the toilet. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you are taking a flat leash vs a round rope type leash I how found the flat leases easier to grab onto and control closer to the collar if needed. More surface area to grab on to and put pressure against your hand vs a rope burn with a cord type leash if the dog has other ideas than stopping right then and there.

...but I have a 65lb sled dog at times. Smaller dogs would seem it would just be personal preference.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Personally I hate flexi leashes .......most people don't know how to use them safely ........got a really good 'rope burn' on my legs from a elderly lady who let her dog run circles around me while chasing my Molly and I nearly face planted!! So if you must use one I would say the tape style would be safer!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks people. I did definitely notice mild "cord burn" as we at times can't rely on using the catch once the line is extended beyond a certain length. :) Even with my now almost 14 pound Pug puppy he can still be a handful to control in a split second...where I have had to grab the cord.

Guess my next retractable will be a tape variety. As the Flexi cord leash I have now sometimes ceases due to a faulty mechanism that might have rusted out because I dropped it in the loo one day...or possibly a "piece" inside broke after I dropped it on the ground a few times (e.g. as my dog suddenly sprinted towards a squirrel).

My Pug has long legs (long for Pugs who typically have short legs) so mine is a runner/sprinter and fairly acrobatic (playing with his friends...huge Mastiff..probably 70-90 pounder..played together since he was 8 weeks).

Thanks for posting the link Rain. I think most owners aren't aware of the possible "dangers" of using a cord based leash. Especially with large dogs. Though, in my area large dogs are rarely on retractable leashes. Usually a metal chain or I'm guessing nylon rope type leash. With my previous 2 dogs (Pekingese then a Shih Tzu) the most I ever got was a very faint burn if even. They weren't as strong as my Pug pup or sprinters/jumpers.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I'm not altogether keen on the dog being on a lead/leash. Of course we have one and we always take it for the situations where it might be required/mandatory.
It's flat with a big knot near the collar - his doing, not ours. But it's very handy to get a grip of if a short lead is required.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think all dogs should be on a leash at all times (unless in one's own backyard if fenced). For the dog's own safety and that of others. Some of the nicest and most affectionate dogs just don't click with a few others for whatever the reason. Or, the dog might be distracted suddenly by an object it finds interesting and dart. Maybe into the road. Mine has done that. If I didn't have a retractable I would have had no chance at all to pull him in in a split second.

Though, I suppose using a non-retractable just becomes a matter of routine I suppose. It's just the "what if" situations I think might make those leashes iffy.

And, what gets me are the owners with large breed dogs who clearly are not strong enough to control them in a sudden emergency. :) But that's another story for another thread. Such as a 120 pound woman with a 90 pound dog (e.g. Akita, Mastiff...).

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Have used a 16 foot flexi leash which is a cord leash. I can lock it pretty quickly if necessary, and have never had a problem controlling Samantha with it. Using arm and wrist motions I can get it retracted in seconds, whether Samantha cooperates or not.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I think all dogs should be on a leash at all times .
I respectfully disagree. That's not to say ours never goes on a lead. We do so where he has to cross a road for example although he obeys the "wait" and "cross" commands. The lead is a precaution.

For the most part, we walk in parks and woodlands. He gets to run around, sniff things, and meet and greet his friends. He gets far more exercise than walking with us at our speed.

I've just come back from our last walk. It's 8:30 pm here and pitch black. I just open our front door and off we go. No lead required. It's common green land so no road traffic.
He is a mostly black dog so I can't always tell where he is. But he knows where I am. And where our front door is. In fact, he is sometimes back there before I am.

Though, I suppose using a non-retractable just becomes a matter of routine I suppose. It's just the "what if" situations I think might make those leashes iffy.

And, what gets me are the owners with large breed dogs who clearly are not strong enough to control them in a sudden emergency. :) But that's another story for another thread. Such as a 120 pound woman with a 90 pound dog (e.g. Akita, Mastiff...).[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
713 Posts
Why not just use a nice non-retractable leather leash. No gears or parts to fail in an emergency or when you drop it in the loo. You'll always have full control of your pet and be able to bring him back to you no mater how far he goes.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Thanks people. I did definitely notice mild "cord burn" as we at times can't rely on using the catch once the line is extended beyond a certain length. :) Even with my now almost 14 pound Pug puppy he can still be a handful to control in a split second...where I have had to grab the cord.
Still don't agree. Ours isn't 14 pounds. He's 80 pounds. Muscle and bone. And no lead required. I walk, he walks. May we/he just got lucky. Or he did. Or both.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Still don't agree. Ours isn't 14 pounds. He's 80 pounds. Muscle and bone. And no lead required. I walk, he walks. May we/he just got lucky. Or he did. Or both.
Maybe some people are just not that fortunate to live out in the countryside where you can leave your dog off leash the whole time. Even though I am very certain my dog would not run off, I wouldn't let her off leash because I live in an area with roads and traffic and just the remote possibility that my dog might get spooked or sniffs something and runs in front of a car? No thanks.
In off lead parks, sure, no leash required.

To the OP: Why even use a retractable leash with parts that can break? How long is it?

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Banned
283 Posts
Maybe some people are just not that fortunate to live out in the countryside where you can leave your dog off leash the whole time.
I wish we did but we don't live out in the countryside.
We just have a common green and adjoining playing fields and parks.
But I agree, if we had to walk on a street our dog would be on his lead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe some people are just not that fortunate to live out in the countryside where you can leave your dog off leash the whole time. Even though I am very certain my dog would not run off, I wouldn't let her off leash because I live in an area with roads and traffic and just the remote possibility that my dog might get spooked or sniffs something and runs in front of a car? No thanks.
In off lead parks, sure, no leash required.

To the OP: Why even use a retractable leash with parts that can break? How long is it?
Hi Britta,

I'd assume parts won't break but if you drop them enough times (e.g. you don't have a tight grip, dog suddenly darts for a squirrel and leash jumps out of your hand). Or if you like me, clumsily drop the retractable in the loo. :)) At least I haven't dropped my phone in there yet (shades I have once but I digress).

Off-leash? I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. STRONGLY. For the safety of the dog and prevent liability. Especially if you happen to own a breed labelled as "aggressive" (e.g. American Stfordshire Terrier, Rott, Doberman, Mastiff..)..though, I believe any dog is only as aggressive as the owners allow them to be or make them to be. I don't believe any dog is born aggressive.

Dogs will find uneaten food on the ground and eat it if it tastes/smells the least bit interesting/tasty. Get diarrhea or worse need surgery (e.g. chicken bones or any cooked bones). Dropped accidentally or on purpose to feed animals.

Why take the chance? One day when the no leash person needs to reign their dog off the road (urban city) he/she won't be able to. Or even in a burb..cars whizzing by suddenly..dog sees something interesting roll across the road (e.g. leaf, ball, squirrel..)..runs after it..

We have maybe 2 dog owners who refuse to sue leashes. There are signs all over our area posted ty the township to "pickup dog poop and to keep all dogs leashed at all times".

Sometimes you meet people super afraid of dogs. Don't say so when you first meet in a condo elevator..FREAK OUT at any sudden movement of the dog..dog gets excited (afraid or possibly angry thinking it has to protect the owner and..) So many scanarios.

Leash GOOD. Dogs with short eye sockets..HARNESS (e.g. Pugs, Pekingese, Shih Tzu). Dog Ownership 101.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why not just use a nice non-retractable leather leash. No gears or parts to fail in an emergency or when you drop it in the loo. You'll always have full control of your pet and be able to bring him back to you no mater how far he goes.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on possibly "always have full control" using a non-retractable "no matter how far he/she goes". Non-retractable leashes are almost always fully extended and usually the owner only has one hand on the leash (and maybe a coffee in the other, holding hand of wife or GF..etc.)

So many scenarios where things could go seriously wrong not using a retractable. Even when using a retractable. But the advantage is IF in need the option is there.

For me it's Pug on leash + retractable (tape) variety.

Did get the Flexi "tape" leash last week. Is definitely better when you suddenly or just want to grab on to the leash to control a very active dog (e.g. in elevator w/ others joining you whether they're good w/ dogs ore seriously afraid). So much easier on the skin. :) Should have bought a retractable "tape" leash the first time (though, I'd still have dropped it in the loo that one time..hope it's the last). :)

·
Banned
283 Posts
Off-leash? I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. STRONGLY. For the safety of the dog and prevent liability.
Safety from what?

Especially if you happen to own a breed labelled as "aggressive"
He's not.

Why take the chance? One day when the no leash person needs to reign their dog off the road (urban city)
We wouldn't dream of not having our dog on a lead where there is road traffic. I already made that point.

We have maybe 2 dog owners who refuse to sue leashes. There are signs all over our area posted ty the township to "pickup dog poop and to keep all dogs leashed at all times".
There are rules posted in our parks about both of those issues. We abide by them.

Sometimes you meet people super afraid of dogs.
True. Our next door neighbour is. Or was.
"I don't dislike dogs. I fear them" is what she said to me. So I kept our dog out of her way but she came to like him. Even strokes him.

Don't say so when you first meet in a condo elevator..FREAK OUT at any sudden movement of the dog..dog gets excited (afraid or possibly angry thinking it has to protect the owner and..) So many scanarios.
Ours is fine in an elevator. That surprised me. The first time he'd ever seen one I was half expecting him to be nervous. But he waltzed straight in as if he owned it and sat down. Of course I had him on a short lead for the sake of other passengers.

Leash GOOD.
I note your opinion but don't share it. Respectfully disagree strongly.

We walk in parks with open areas and woodland. No vehicular traffic. If the dog is constrained on a lead he walks just what we human owners do. That wouldn't be nearly enough for a big active dog.

So he is off lead almost all the time. That way he can sniff, follow scents, look for squirrels - in short, just be a dog.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with puting our dog on a lead when I think he should be on a lead. He has no problem with it either.
"Max, lead" is all that is required. In fact, on some of our regular walks he doesn't need to be instructed. He knows where.

Dogs differ. As do owners. There is no one rule that fits all dogs, all owners, and all circumstances. As I've posted before, maybe we got lucky, maybe the dog did, but I happen to think it's a combination of both. A team.

This is the beast we have being strangled by a wee boy who lives not too far away. Max doesn't look terribly distressed.

All the local kids love him and he laps it up. But I do tell them that not all dogs are like that and they should take care.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Britta,

I'd assume parts won't break but if you drop them enough times (e.g. you don't have a tight grip, dog suddenly darts for a squirrel and leash jumps out of your hand). Or if you like me, clumsily drop the retractable in the loo. :)) At least I haven't dropped my phone in there yet (shades I have once but I digress).

Off-leash? I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. STRONGLY. For the safety of the dog and prevent liability. Especially if you happen to own a breed labelled as "aggressive" (e.g. American Stfordshire Terrier, Rott, Doberman, Mastiff..)..though, I believe any dog is only as aggressive as the owners allow them to be or make them to be. I don't believe any dog is born aggressive.

Dogs will find uneaten food on the ground and eat it if it tastes/smells the least bit interesting/tasty. Get diarrhea or worse need surgery (e.g. chicken bones or any cooked bones). Dropped accidentally or on purpose to feed animals.

Why take the chance? One day when the no leash person needs to reign their dog off the road (urban city) he/she won't be able to. Or even in a burb..cars whizzing by suddenly..dog sees something interesting roll across the road (e.g. leaf, ball, squirrel..)..runs after it..

Sometimes you meet people super afraid of dogs. Don't say so when you first meet in a condo elevator..FREAK OUT at any sudden movement of the dog..dog gets excited (afraid or possibly angry thinking it has to protect the owner and..) So many scanarios.

Leash GOOD. Dogs with short eye sockets..HARNESS (e.g. Pugs, Pekingese, Shih Tzu). Dog Ownership 101.
Sorry for just answering now, but I saw you addressed the off-leash part to me also. Please reread my post, I hardly have my dog off leash in public.
(and yes, I do have a dog labeled as "aggressive", but I wouldn't make that an argument for or against off-leash, traffic and keeping the dog out of other peoples' way should be the main concern, no matter what dog).

Anyways, I dislike retractable leashes, but I have a bigger dog, so that might play in there. I also didn't find any leash at an affordable price that I liked, so I made some my own, maybe that would be an option for you? How to make a paracord dog leash
I have snap hooks on both sides and a couple of O-rings throughout the leash, so I can have a long leash (if space permits) and if I want to shorten it up, I can just use a different o-ring further down the leash for the handle-loop (which makes the loop bigger, I hope this is understandable :D ). Also, with a leash like this, it is easier to tether the dog to a bench or a tree or whatever if I'd need both hands for something for a short time or at a baseball game ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I note your opinion but don't share it. Respectfully disagree strongly.
Stop being a troll on the OP's post. They can share their opinion because YOU brought it off-topic not them. Even with them trying to get it back on topic your persisted. There is no need to be a keyboard jerk.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Sorry for just answering now, but I saw you addressed the off-leash part to me also. Please reread my post, I hardly have my dog off leash in public.
(and yes, I do have a dog labeled as "aggressive", but I wouldn't make that an argument for or against off-leash, traffic and keeping the dog out of other peoples' way should be the main concern, no matter what dog).

Anyways, I dislike retractable leashes, but I have a bigger dog, so that might play in there. I also didn't find any leash at an affordable price that I liked, so I made some my own, maybe that would be an option for you? How to make a paracord dog leash
I have snap hooks on both sides and a couple of O-rings throughout the leash, so I can have a long leash (if space permits) and if I want to shorten it up, I can just use a different o-ring further down the leash for the handle-loop (which makes the loop bigger, I hope this is understandable :D ). Also, with a leash like this, it is easier to tether the dog to a bench or a tree or whatever if I'd need both hands for something for a short time or at a baseball game ;)
Thanks for the idea on making a long line with that type of braid. I have one that I made a year or so ago using a 4 strand round braid, but would love to try the Cobra braid for the next one. Only problem I may have is how heavy it is, I need to keep it light since my boy is only 10 lbs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the idea on making a long line with that type of braid. I have one that I made a year or so ago using a 4 strand round braid, but would love to try the Cobra braid for the next one. Only problem I may have is how heavy it is, I need to keep it light since my boy is only 10 lbs.
You can easily keep it lighter with either thinner paracord and also with how many strands you have for the middle, so how thick the cobra braid will be.
I didn't to the king cobra braid, so just the cobra, which also halfs the weight (the one on the picture in the "how to" looks a little heavy for the size of the dog).

I was just searching for a leash with two snap hooks and a couple of O-rings so I can adjust the length. There was one seller at that time on etsy who maid them also, but at a horrendous price. So this way I now have one "traffic" lead, which is around 4' and adjustable to 3' and 2' length and one regular leash which is around 9' total (with small hand loop) and then adjustable to 7.5', 6', and 4.5'.
Over winter, when there is more time inside, I will probably try to manufacture a 15' one, need to still find a cheap supplier of paracord for the length I would need one strand to be.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts