Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my complete horror, I have discovered that my 10-year-old Beagle mix eats the kitty poop out of the (hooded) litter boxes. I don't know how long this has been going on, but obviously now that I know he does this I want to stop it ASAP. Does anyone have any advice for nipping this behavior in the bud? He also likes to pee on the floor next to the litter boxes, but only at night (so far, knock on wood). I'm not OK with the indoor peeing, either.

A few key details:
1. We live in a small apartment
2. I am the only human, and I work full time, so I cannot be around to do anything immediately all the time (if the cats poop while I'm at work, cleaning it out right away is obviously not possible)
3. He's not a fan of the cats; could he be trying to send a message of some sort?

·
Registered
502 Posts
As gross as it is, it's very common. Back when an old roommates dog was here, my other roommate kept her cats litter box up on a chair so the dog couldn't get to it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would suggest moving the litter box out of the reach of the dog. Either behind a sectioned off area that only the cat can get to or up high. (when I was growing up we had cats and dogs and put the cat's litter box and food in a closet with a baby gate across the opening. Worked well to give the cat his own place and keep the dogs from eating his food and poop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts