Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cop shoots himself trying to shoot "Pit bull" video on page
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/1...pe_redirect=no

A California deputy accidentally shot himself while trying to kill a dog that he said was threatening his life on Wednesday, but video captured by a local television station later showed the animal much smaller than reported and peacefully playing with children.

According to a Riverside County sheriff’s spokesperson, the deputy was serving an eviction notice at around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when a “large” dog tried to attack him, KCAL reported.

“A dog came at the deputy in an aggressive manner,” Deputy Armando Munoz said, according to The Press-Enterprise. “The deputy, (attempting to defend himself) pulled his service weapon, shot one round, and injured himself in the leg.”

“He’s OK. He has non life-threatening injuries.”

Munoz said that the dog’s aggressive behavior ended when it was startled by the gunfire.

When KNBC film crews arrived on the scene later on Wednesday, they found a medium-sized pit bull — named “Precious” — confined to a pen, and calmly playing with several children. The dog’s owner admitted that it had been barking when the officer arrived.

Animal Services did not take the dog into custody because there was no evidence it or the owner had done anything wrong.

Watch the video below from KNBC, broadcast April 16, 2014

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I can't believe anyone thinks it's funny. Yes, the deputy could have dealt with this better but being happy that he accidentally shot himself? Really?

The deputy should have called animal control or asked the people he was evicting to secure the dog. Of course, some people purposely release their dogs to slow down the cops entry...

Dogs are allowed to bark and they do bark and some go even farther to defend their territory. Cops don't always have time to do a behavior assessment (assuming they were qualified) when entering the property of someone who they might reasonably assume will not be happy to see them. A dog is a distraction and if the cop feels threatened by the dog his first priority is to deal with the people who may or may not be prepared to do him or her harm.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
thats probably what would happen if I were given a gun... not saying I would shoot pit bulls but that I am very clumsy.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I can't believe anyone thinks it's funny. Yes, the deputy could have dealt with this better but being happy that he accidentally shot himself? Really?

The deputy should have called animal control or asked the people he was evicting to secure the dog. Of course, some people purposely release their dogs to slow down the cops entry...

Dogs are allowed to bark and they do bark and some go even farther to defend their territory. Cops don't always have time to do a behavior assessment (assuming they were qualified) when entering the property of someone who they might reasonably assume will not be happy to see them. A dog is a distraction and if the cop feels threatened by the dog his first priority is to deal with the people who may or may not be prepared to do him or her harm.
You're right, it's absolutely not funny.
I apologize for my previous comment.
But, as I said before, I'm glad no one was killed.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I don't think it's funny, but I definitely think it's karma. It says right in the article that there was no aggressive behavior and the pooch was only guilty of playing with children.

I understand that this isn't funny, but it's not an isolated incident. It seems like I see this daily. And it's ALWAYS the dogs with the same looks. Short body, large head, broad chest... And quite frequently it's the excuse "The dog looked aggressive"... I begin to wonder if there are any other dogs with different looks that ever look aggressive? If so, how come I never seem them on the news getting shot?!

</end rant>

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm glad no one was killed too. A friend of mine who's a SWAT team member accidentally shot himself in the thigh when he was in the academy. He almost bled to death.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I don't think it's funny, but I definitely think it's karma. It says right in the article that there was no aggressive behavior and the pooch was only guilty of playing with children.

I understand that this isn't funny, but it's not an isolated incident. It seems like I see this daily. And it's ALWAYS the dogs with the same looks. Short body, large head, broad chest... And quite frequently it's the excuse "The dog looked aggressive"... I begin to wonder if there are any other dogs with different looks that ever look aggressive? If so, how come I never seem them on the news getting shot?!

</end rant>
You probably see stories like this daily because this is the kind of story the media loves. You don't hear about the incidents that don't end up with dead dogs or injured police officers. They aren't "newsworthy" and don't stir up the public. You don't hear about a lot of stuff that happens but that doesn't mean that thousands and thousands of cops don't encounter dogs every day in the course of their work and they're often in a position of vulnerability but they manage to not shoot the dogs or the people they're arresting. That's not going to make the news.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I don't think anyone thought the fact that he accidentally shot himself was funny, but the overall situation could be interpreted that way still. A lot of the time we think things are funny because we know they're wrong, which is why once racism started becoming less okay MORE racist jokes popped up. People have no better way of coping, so instead it's funny because it's a coping mechanism. Also...none of us were there. I doubt putting the same person in the situation would be laughing.

I'm really frustrated with a LOT of things, and situations like this are a huge concern and a big part of why I panic at every single setback Koda has (even though the laws are different here). It's understandable that the cops need to protect themselves first but shooting into the air to startle the dog off would be much more appropriate, or some other form. Maybe he was shooting the ground, thinking about if there was someone overhead of him, and hit his foot instead.

I dunno, there's a huge difference in how guns are used in the states compared to Canada so my opinions on this really aren't relevant a lot of the time simply due to the fact that guns are so freely used. Cops here have political hell to pay when they take our their guns (at minimum a lengthy report to write) and if the reason was insufficient they have MORE political messes to deal with. But most of the time when they DO use it, it is justified. I don't truly understand why people are so gun happy to start with so my comments on it won't really make sense.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just hope that law enforcement officers who see this story connect the dots that the dog never actually harmed him and maybe they don't need to pull guns on dogs as much anymore.

I dearly wish that police forces had some basic education about dogs. I mean, I get it that it's scary to have a strange dog approach you barking and putting up a show, but if police officers had more knowledge about body language and how to respond so many of these incidents of dogs getting shot wouldn't happen, I think.

And while I wouldn't say I'm "glad" he shot himself, I do find a wee kernel of dark humor in it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NOPPEE i am not gonna lie and say i do not think it's funny.. For one, a cop should handle a gun well enough to not accidentally shoot himself when aiming at a dog, and two, had he not shot himself he would have shot an innocent dog whose only crime was being a dog, sorry that i am happy he accidently shot himself *and lived* rather than killing a dog.. Actually i am not sorry lol

·
Registered
318 Posts
Of course it's not funny that a guy managed to shoot himself, but sometimes a black sense of humour creeps in. Lucky you don't have our style of attention-grabbing headlines....you'd have had to deal with "Lawman without a leg to stand on", " Dog wins police shootout" and "Officer's terrier-ible day".
Obviously it's good that the officer wasn't badly hurt, and that a dog wasn't killed due to a misunderstanding, but if that's what it took, and if this guy gets further firearms training ( which it sounds as if he needs), then good, cos he could just as easily have shot a passer by.

·
Banned
472 Posts

Not gonna apologize. I think this is freaking hilarious.

Because hello... K-A-R-M-A.

This guy was trying to shoot an innocent, quite clearly friendly dog, and is somehow inept enough to shoot himself instead. That is cosmic justice to the highest degree.

I mean, how could you justify the actions of this guy? He tries to shoot a creature doing him no harm, and in an area where there are obviously children. Would you be defending the dude if he'd accidentally shot one of those kids instead of himself in his frantic attempt to kill a friendly dog?

When an idiot decides to pull a weapon he (obviously) can't handle, this is the best outcome possible. Innocent dog is not shot, innocent bystanders are not shot, but the inept moron handling a weapon he can't control is shot and doesn't even die of his own ineptitude. Best outcome possible in this scenario and yep... I think it's funny.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i don't think someone getting hurt is funny either.
what is funny to me is the 'trained' professional's response to the situation and his poor assesment of the situation resulting in his self-inflicted injury. the percieved threat was, in the mind of the children and owners, harmless. many dogs protect their territory. many dogs display warning behavior to strangers. do all dogs exhibiting normal behavior deserve to be shot, or just 'pit bull' type shaped dogs?
an interesting article written a few years ago, but sooooooo applicable to the OP story in several ways.
Annals of Public Policy: Troublemakers : The New Yorker

1 - 18 of 18 Posts