Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My puppy is 4 months now and we had some great weather in New York this weekend so we gave him a bunch of park time this weekend. We met a lot of great dogs and people. Saturday we stayed out about an hour and Sunday 2 and half hours. We have a great park near us. He really loved every minute of it. A little nervous Saturday but no apprehension at all Sunday. Sadly I was so focused on him having a great time I didn't take any pictures. So far Cooper hasn't met a person or dog he doesn't like. So glad I have this forum cause I would have probably brought him to a dog park right away and he would have been overwhelmed.

I was very careful with him. Asked each owner if they were friendly prior to introduction. In general they were all friendly. Only a little Chihuahua mix snapped at him which he brushed off quickly and tail never stopped wagging.
He especially had a great a great time playing steal the stick from this adorable Portuguese water dog. He is so funny cause he is very submissive when meeting dogs especially if they are big but after 10 seconds of letting them sniff him he starts playing and jumping around. He doesn't even sniff them.

As for people he immediately jumps up to lick them. I was getting jealous. haha. He didn't stay long just says hello then moves on. Kids he will stop and play a little longer with.

I tried to play fetch with him but he was too distracted which I totally understand.

Now the problem we originally trained him to go on pads and now we are trying to make the switch to outside. He was out for over 2 hours and didn't go to the bathroom. Its not a big problem as I know it will take time and he is only doing what he thinks is right but any advise is welcome. My wife started taking the pads out with her. He actually went outside on them after hours and hours of trying so we made some progress. We just need him to go outside so we can praise him for it.

Thank you everyone and sorry for long post. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
easiest way for you (not as enjoyable for him) would be to go back to strict crate training. Whenever he is taken out of his crate he goes straight outside, if he doesn't pee he goes back in his crate. If he does pee he gets lots of rewards and then gets to play around the house freely on coming back inside the house/apartment.

If you catch him peeing on the pee pads, don't scold him (as he is doing what you initially taught), just pick him up and carry him outside to finish. If he finishes outside then lots of praise and treats. If he doesn't finish outside (i.e. he got everything out inside) then after a few minutes outside (no playing) take him back inside without praise or punishment, just totally neutral.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I second the crate training. You're basically starting the house training process all over again. Make sure when he's not in a playpen or crate he's constantly supervised. Get him on a set schedule and make sure to take him out after he eats, drinks, plays and naps. You should have a decent idea of how long after eat event he takes before he needs to potty, if start keeping a log. Plus I would take away the pee pads all together, you're only going to confuse him.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! No scolding at all. I explained to everyone in my house what I learned from this forum. We all agreed that we will train with positive reinforcement. I have watched Zak George, Tab289 and Kikopup as references. I kind of knew the answer would be crate but hoping to hear something else. lol. We never crate trained him but he is young and its not too late so I will try my best to get him happy in there. He is never really home alone and the few times he is he doesn't really cause trouble. Sleeps I guess. He sleeps in the bed with us so we really don't want to give him up.

We really should crate train him anyway. Especially since we are still trying to figure out how to get him to ignore the cat. That probably will be another post.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I second the crate training. You're basically starting the house training process all over again. Make sure when he's not in a playpen or crate he's constantly supervised. Get him on a set schedule and make sure to take him out after he eats, drinks, plays and naps. You should have a decent idea of how long after eat event he takes before he needs to potty, if start keeping a log. Plus I would take away the pee pads all together, you're only going to confuse him.
I agree. We just have to commit and take the pads away. Then just make sure to clean it up right away so the wood floors don't get ruined. Either way I know it will be tough but hopefully we can get him going outside so we can shower him with praise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also a little more info. Not sure if this matters. He sleeps in our bedroom and we close the door so he is isolated to that room. He quickly goes to bed and sleeps through the night. He does not go to the bathroom in our bedroom. He wakes us up and cries to get out. He also sleeps to about 5am or 6am daily. I guess he sees our bedroom as his den/crate.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We never crate trained him but he is young and its not too late so I will try my best to get him happy in there. He is never really home alone and the few times he is he doesn't really cause trouble. Sleeps I guess. He sleeps in the bed with us so we really don't want to give him up.
Never too late to crate train, just take it slow and remember not to give in to his whining for attention. This is a good read to help you get started;

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

You're going to want to be careful with never leaving the pup alone, it's actually a disservice to the pup. He should learn how to entertain himself and be comfortable being alone. Otherwise you're going to have a very neurotic pup when you're gone.

Crate training is really just a helpful tool for potty training, once he's reliable not peeing/pooping in the house he can have free reign. My pup now gets free reign of the house, sleeps on the bed, and has his crate available to him whenever he wants it. (rarely uses it but sometimes likes to nap in there)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Normally only alone 2 hours of the day. Not all at once. Today he had a solid 4 hours as my father had a doctors appointment. He stays with him during the day. He didn't do anything to house. I agree we definitely baby him too much and have to back off. We are definitely going to try and crate train him. He does go to other couch if he wants alone time. So maybe we can direct that towards crate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts