Dog Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good name suggestions for a female black and tan coonhound? Hound owners, what did you name your dog? My husband and I are stuck! Here are some ideas I have already:

Remi (short for Remington)
Pepper
Pinto
Pluto
Chewy
Zoe
Bailey
Ripley
Zelda

·
Registered
437 Posts
I love the name Remi, that's super cute and I think it fits a hound really well :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I like unusual names. Working for a vet I can research names that are popular and steer away from them. There is only one other Savannah, no one named Firefly, a cat named Squeak, and one other dog named Hercules.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When I think of Coonhounds I think of 'down south' and the comfort of a veranda and my dog stretched out on the porch..............nice!

We had a liver and white coonhound named "King"(my Dad named all his hunting dogs 'King' or 'Duke' LOL!) that my dad had flown here to Ca as a hunting dog.......he turned out to be gun shy and lazy Hahaha! But we ended up with a great family dog!
Some names for my mental 'down home' coonhound girls.....

Tilly
Willow
Kenzie
Marley
Glory
Emma
Mattie
Cleo
Prudence
Sophie
Annie
Dixie
Jemma
Fiona
Gracie
Carley
Izzy
Katie
Abbey
Mina
Lily
Sadie
Quinn
Selma
Xena
Lyla
Mazie
Stella
Harper

I had Zelda on my list too!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I honestly steer clear of gun names for hunting dogs, unless you don't mind every other person's dog having the same name as yours. I get countless hunting dogs in at work named Remi(ngton), Winchester, Ruger, Colt, etc. I'm with another user in firmly believing that hounds are more of an "old people name" type dog. My hound's name is Jayne. I also lean more towards the unique since I work at a doggy daycare and I'd hate for my dog to be lost in the shuffle of Remi's, Piper's, and Bella's.

Personally, I fantasize about having a coonhound named Prudence, Prue for short. Try looking at baby name websites, a lot have categories you can look at with different themes. I think it'd be cool to give a hound a musical name, too, since they like to sing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, I feel like coonhounds should have some sort of southern or "old" name but it's just trying to find a name that we like! Thanks for your wonderful suggestions, everyone!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Otus, Ollie, Curtis, Wilson, Willie, Cecil, Clayton, Vernon, Hubert, Eli, Moses, Marvin, Ruben, Silas, Abe, Jasper, Hiram, Virgil, Levi, Roscoe, Gus, Lester, Bernard, Horace

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Quedel?
he was the dog of Princess Mathilde.
the Legend says, that the Princess was so beautifull that her father, Heinrich III. (henry the Black) fell in love with her.
She protect herself she made a pact with the devil. He'd help her, but if he would find her asleep during 3 nights, her soul would belong to him.
the little dog Quedel kept her awake for three 3 days by barking everytime she was about to fall asleep.
The devil was so angry that he hit her in in the face with his claw and made her ugly, so Heinrich lost his attraction for her and she was free. :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I can think of some Coonhounds in literature. I believe Sounder was a Black and Tan. There's also Dan and Ann from Where the Res Fern Grows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts