Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello everybody! I'm new here and would be interested in some help/tips/advice from some Border Collie owners, or anybody who is familiar with the breed, it would be much appreciated.

Some background on my boy... if you would like.
http://www.dogforum.com/introductions/my-amazing-boy-297785/

Because of the area we live in, it is highly likely that Bruno has been bred from a long line of sheepdogs. He is about 1 year and 4 months old, he has obsessions/fixations with the cat/sheep/chickens/cows even small dogs. He stares at them intensely, makes a wide circle around them with his head down in stalker position. Instead of being worried about him sprinting after any moving target and restricting him to a leash, I've decided to embrace is nature and train him to be a sheepdog.
To do this first of all, I need to control his fixations and really need some advice. I decided to introduce him to the ball, unfortunately it became his new fixation. Whenever you come into the room, he will greet you and then immediately run to his ball, and stare at it, backing up waiting for it to move. When you throw the ball, recall (which he is usually very good at) is completely out of the question. I'm currently trying to fix this by teaching him to wait when I throw the ball.
Please please please, any information you can think of about Border Collies is much appreciated, I'm trying to understand this breed as much as I can. Anything and everything is welcomed. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Sounds like a working bred Border to me!
@Shandula will probably be of some help as she has a Border as well.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh Border Collies. MY BC is just over a year, 14 months. They can become OCD (constant repetitive behaviors) and eaaaasily fixate on things (I mean there's a reason they can make those sheep move).
One of the best things you can teach your guy is impulse control. As in "just because it's there, doesn't mean you can have it". A great way to start is to hold a nice smelly, treat in your closed fist.Your dog will probably nose it, that's fine. Don't control the dog, control the resource. Wait until he backs off, then open your hand. He will probably dive in and try to get the treat, that's okay, just close your fist. Continue doing this until he can stay away from an open hand with a treat in your palm. Click (or mark, say yes whatever you choose, I personally use "get it" for this exercise) and let him have the cookie. Once he gets that (and he's a BC - he'll get it quick!), up the ante. Put the cookies on the floor. If he goes for them (and he might, cookies on the floor are SO different from cookies in the hand!), just cover them up with your hand. Keep trying until he can stay away, then up the ante again. Can you move a cookie? Drop a cookie on the ground (be prepared to cover with your foot!). Change it up, can he ignore toys? Squirrels? Etc. etc.

A couple things to be aware of, don't put your dog in a stay or any control position. He has to make the choice to not engage/steal the toy. He can choose to sit or lay down himself, but don't cue him, otherwise you're just proofing his stay.

A couple BC related things as well. Yes they need exercise, but they don't need 6 hours of exercise a day. That just makes a dog that NEEDS 6 hours of exercise a day. They need good mental stimulation. Tricks, obedience, nose games/scent work, herding is awesome.

Where are you taking him for training? :)

Edit: Also - pictures!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts